Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

ballistically challenged Tikka T3 Lite 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 03:42 PM

ballistically challenged Tikka T3 Lite 30-06

So I got a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 and put a Pentax Game Seeker 4-12 scope on it in the rings that come with the rifle and it was shooting about 1.5 in groups with various cheap ammo (150 Win Super X, Federal Power Shock 150/180, Rem Core lokt PSP 165)

Needless to say I was pissed so I pulled the thing apart and dremeled out the barrel channel got everything locked down good and replaced the rings with some steal weaver bases and 1" rings, I also bought some aluminum tube and pressed it in between the action and the trigger guard filed it down to length as kind of an ass-backward pillar bedding job. Tighted the **** out of everything with lock-tight on and went to the range and shot 1.5-2" groups that wandered everywhere.

So I decided that the Pentax was crap and sent it off to the factory. I bought a Redfield Revolution which I mounted, leveled with the breach, centered the crosshairs, and boresighted with my laser (perfect left and right 1" high at 20ft without touching any adjustment ).

Took the rifle to the range with Fed 150 power shock and first shot at 100 is 3/4" low and 1" left. I think great, everything is lined up well . I make adjustments 10 up and 4 right. Then shoot a 3 round group that is right where it should be but is about 1.5". Go to Fed 180 Power Shock 3" groupe. 165 Rem Core Lokt 2.25" group but 3" higher then the other ammo...... ????? WTF??? Proceed to waste a box of Fed shooting 6 round groups that balloon out to around 2-3".

Everything is tight, I know I can shoot sub MOA groups from a bench all day long ( .5 -.75 groups with my Win. 7mm Mag ). So I cus and spit then pull the thing apart at the range and pull the aluminum tubes out of the stock and put it back together.

Shoot another box of ammon getting same results. Everything is being shot at 12x on the scope, Everything is tight, these are my last groups with the rifle and this is the Rifle. Any suggestions, do you think tikka would honor their < MOA policy even though I dremeled the barrel channel to free float the barrel:

Old 09-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

A few comments. First I doubt that the scope is the problem. If so this isn't the right sub-forum for this post.

Second, you seem to be getting groups as small as 1.5" with some relatively cheap ammo. I recommend trying a few different types of premium ammo. The Tikka warranty probably doesn't guarantee <1 MOA groups withy ANY ammo.

Third, how did you break in this barrel? If you didn't, it may be nearly broken in now. Clean the barrel very well. Then check group size. If still not <1 MOA, fire a 20 rnd box of ammo as fast as you can safely load and shoot. Let the barrel cool. clean it again and check group size.

Fourth, if you aren't already doing so, I recommend paying close attention to possible sources of dispersion the next time you check group size: improper action screw torque, high trigger pull weight, barrel temp variation, and muzzle crown damage come to mind. You may already be aware of these potential factors; I can't tell from your post.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 PM

Re: ballistically challenged Tikka T3 Lite 30-06

No break in process, just clean the barrel before I go shooting. Everything stays tight, I do not torque action screws just tighten down the front, tighten down rear, retighten front so it is tighter then rear.

Barrel has been kept cool while shooting the first 3 boxes of ammo as I don't like to heat it up a lot. The last box I went nuts and fired up 15 rounds quickly and really heated the thing up. The rifle has about 100 rounds thru it now, never had a rifle that didn't shoot MOA but every other rifle I have had I could bed the thing, can't really do that with this Tikka.

Moderator, can you please move this post to the correct location. Thanks.

Trying Federal fusion 150gr & Win Super X 150/180. If it can't shoot sub MOA with cheap ammo it can't shoot. All I have ever shot is cheap ammo and I can always find a couple brands/weight that tighten down the group under MOA in either of my 7mm Rem Mags, and my M1903. Maybe I have just been lucky with my last 3 rifles and expect too much, but have bedded other peoples rifles and lightened triggers and been able to get them sub MOA also.

Also I have never heard of Breaking in a barrel before, I have heard that frequently rifles get more accurate after the first 50 rounds because the barrel smooths out from any machining imperfections and the copper coats it for more consistant velocity and hamonics. But I also assume that is more true with old manufacturing practices.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Either you've been lucky with your rifles, or I've been unlucky with mine. I handload and usually have to try a few different bullets and powders to get something that shots small groups. I recommend that you try a few boxes of premium ammo before throwing in the towel on this barrel.

There is a lot of folk lore about breaking in barrels. Some believe it is useful, while others do not. Yuor barrel is bro ably broken in by now.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

First off, I think an attitude adjustment is needed. You state that you "decided" that the scope is junk and sent it back without testing another one first. Then you junk a mounting system that almost never gets bad press. Then you say "if it won't shoot with cheap ammo, it won't shoot". Do you really expect to come on a forum like this and get us to think you will take any of our advice. Your post makes you sound like a bubba with no experience and brick wall opinions.
Floating the barrel is a good thing, just so you didn't go postal with the dremel. Who knows what the "pillars" did. It sounds like you are just trying to make excuses instead of making improvements. If you had taken a more reasoned approach, maybe you could have reached a conclusion about something. As it now stands, you know nothing more than when you started. It is doubtful the rifle will not shoot, their reputation is better than average, but it is evidently going to take a different approach than you have taken thus far.
I would clean it good with a good product, not #9, my choice is Bore-tech Eliminator, or one of the foam products. Then, as others have suggested, get some good ammo and put in some more time at the bench. The rifle may like to be held tight, or like free recoil, your cheek weld may be off for this style stock, even parallax can be an issue. I had a Burris that was horrendus at 1-200yds, but it is unlikely a scope problem.
Let us know what you come up with, these usually shoot great without any tweaking. Remember, this is just what I gleaned from your post.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Actually I think the OP's attitude is fine. I've interacted with him before. He's open minded and smarter than he lets on. He just has an authentic way of writing that I think is kind of refreshing.

I would like to think that folks like that are welcome here.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Old 09-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Silver Member

Sending a scope back for no reason is open minded? Saying that everything should shoot with cheap ammo is refreshing? I find it hard to believe it is his writing style, and it has nothing to do with being welcome.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.