Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Ballistic Reticles... What is your favorite and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 AM

Re: Ballistic Reticles... What is your favorite and why?

Shoot out from 100 - 1000 yards about every weekend lately, using a falcon menace (ffp, mil/mil, mil line reticle). Most of the time I dial up/down, but I at least make sure I holdover for several shots, just to keep in practice. No issues with holding level while holding over, even at 1k. REALLY like having the same value turret adjustments and reticle increment(mil/mil)........ unlike my previous scopes that were mildot with moa adjustments. Also REALLY like this front focal plane deal too.......very nice for quick ranging and dialing what you "see" without having to be on a certain power. http://www.sightwonders.com/falcon%2...l%20plane.html

Last edited by rc2125; 07-27-2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: n
Old 08-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

While I do not consider myself a Long Range Hunter, in that I do not yet feel I have equipment capable of making ethical shots on game over 6-800 yards. But, up to my effective range I must say I really like the Zeiss Z-600 reticle. The multiple aim point out to 650 yards with 50 and even some 25 yard increments, as well as 5 and mph wind marks. Of course non of these are dead on aim-point, but usually within 2-3 inch's, so there is little more to do that range the target. For beyond the farthest hash mark, the dials are resettable, so you could easily shoot as far as you wanted. I also like that the yardage is marked on the hash, so for relatively quick shots, you won't easily get confused like on a Burris or Leupold. I just wish the 600 yard reticle was available on a 12 or 14x scope.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
To each his own. I'll take the ballistic reticle and have the option to do either.

In a no wind situation, I can hit a deers vitals from muzzle to past 1000yds without doing anything but range and shoot. If you want to twist your dials, have at it.

AJ
I agree with AJ. IT IS SOO EASY TO RANGE HOLD AND SHOT, instead range, dial, shot, redial to zero after.
In areas where I hunt I can get 2-3 deers in less the 2 min, in the morning, just using hold over. (because the deers are coming to bedding areas in lines one behind another).

I used also ranging with reticle up to 800 yrds to deer size games, and without loosing the scope sights I can engage the target VERY FAST AND DEADLY.

I shoot regular in every week my rifle on field position just using HOLD OVER to engage rocks (vital zone size)up to 1400yrds. After 1400 yrds I use dial to reach 1680yrds due to scope limitation (NSX NP-R1 8.5-32x56) with 100yrds zero
Old 08-07-2009, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
NP-R1 has 10 above and 30 below for the 3.5x15 and 10 above and 20 below for the 5.5x22

Just fyi. I have no problem shooting any of the lines and keeping things level, why would it be any harder to hold a scope level and using a hash mark that was not the crosshairs?

AJ
AJ is right ... count them ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Bronze Member

I really love mi Leupolds reticles:

- TMR in the Mark4 6,5-20x50
- Varmint Hunter in the VXIII 8,5-25x50

A little preference for the TMR on the target, and for the Varm.Hunt. for the Hunting
Old 08-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Gold Member

If you aren't dead set on strictly using the reticle for bullet drop you might want to look at the scope from Grey Bull Precision. It has a good ranging style of reticle and it incorporates a Drop Compensating Turret. Check it out.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 02-11-2014, 08:54 PM

zeiss rapid z 800 if you are shooting 800 and under because it has 5 and 10 mph windage all the way down. also has lines in between main lines for prescise shooting. also has rangefinding capability. ballistic reticles are faster to get a shot off with than turrets