Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Badger rings on Farrell base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2003, 01:33 PM
Bronze Member

Badger rings on Farrell base

I just ordered a new Farrell base and am wondering if Badger rings are compatible with this base. I thought I read somewhere that the rings do not get tight on the Farrell base. Also, are there any other aluminum or stainless tactical rings that are on the same quality level as the badger? I see lots of different tactical rings advertised and they all claim to be wonderful. Is there a big difference in quality/durability? Thanks. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2003, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: Badger rings on Farrell base

Farrell bases used to have 1/2 round cross-slots vs. the squared off type. Could be that Ken has since changed the design. You should call KF and ask.

If I had the half-round slot type base, I'd use rings with round cross-bolts, examples being KF's own (but heavy and pricey) and the excellent Burris Signature Zee type (with the plastic inserts).

If your base has the squared slots, then I'd use rings with the squared cross-bolt, like Badger, etc. An excellent aluminum alternative to the expensive steel products is the TPS ring (as sold by Brownell's, and which you can see at the link to follow).
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...l.aspx?p=17361
Old 09-25-2003, 07:00 AM

Kens Bases will work great with your rings, go for it why spend twice the money, wait till you see the quality of kens stuff you won't be disapointed.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Kens new bases do have the square cross slots now, but i'd call and talk to him anyway--he's a great guy.

JB
Old 09-26-2003, 05:58 AM
Silver Member

Mine has the square cross slots. They are a very nice base. I think If you get the base from an outlet that has old stock though you may end up with the other. I bought mine directly from Ken Farrell.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:48 AM

I have ken's bases and they are round slots, I'm using Badger mounts and haven't had a problem.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

will the kf rings or the leupold mark 4 work with the 20 moa base from nightforce or maybe you know them as lightforce,thanks,keith