Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Bad Scopes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Gold Member

Bad Scopes?

What Scope would you never buy. or recomend for a rookie starting out.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bad Scopes?

counter sniper,bsa,nc star it would be alot easier to ask what to get
Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
counter sniper,bsa,nc star it would be alot easier to ask what to get

Barska, osprey, sniperoptics and yes its easier to ask what should I get, not what should I not get. In optics, if a deal is to good to be true it is, there are very very few exceptions
Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Gold Member

A bad scope may also:

be too heavy for your shooting style.

be too valuable to allow being comfortable using it the field.

be too expensive for your shooting budget. Put your money where it does the most good.

break if you drop it. Unfortunately any scope can break if dropped on a hard object, like a rock.

What's "best" is a frequent question here but a better question might be which scope selection is most likely to result in the most successful hunts. In my opinion two $300 scopes are likely to give better results than one $3000 scope.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
A bad scope may also:

be too heavy for your shooting style.

be too valuable to allow being comfortable using it the field.

be too expensive for your shooting budget. Put your money where it does the most good.

break if you drop it. Unfortunately any scope can break if dropped on a hard object, like a rock.

What's "best" is a frequent question here but a better question might be which scope selection is most likely to result in the most successful hunts. In my opinion two $300 scopes are likely to give better results than one $3000 scope.
I think if you got the cash and that hunt really matters (mine always do), spend it. I personally have about a grand limit currently but can not think of a $300 variable power (there are fixed power exceptions) long range optic that I would buy now days. Standard holdover or bdc reticule .......sure but not something I am dialing in with.
If you gave me a scope worth 300 I would sell it to buy something better but if you gave me one worth 3k I would use it till the wheels fell off.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Gold Member

The Nikon buckmasters 6-18 does pretty well for dialing around $300-350. Swfa fixed power scopes work well $300. Bushnell elite tactical 10x40 does well $200. Vortex viper 6.5-20x44PA does well $279. That's about all I know under $400 for long range dialing. I do own all of these and use them all a lot. Very pleased will all these scopes for the price. They are all very clear for the money, reliable, repeatable in clicks, and I regularly use them for dialing out to 800 yards. Going to stretch a few to 1000 yards when I find powder and bullets. Which could be next yr at this rate.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Buy a Zeiss Conquest and don't look back. Just go ahead and spend the money on a good quality scope and you will be fine.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.