Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Bad Glass in Sightron?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 03-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 57
Re: Bad Glass in Sightron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreshooter View Post
This is wierd stumbling on this thread.

I just bought on Friday a SII 6.5-20x50 and it was clear. Now, having fired 1 (yes, a single round), it is fuzzy and out of focus. The glass is clear at 6.5 power, but adjusting it at all to a higher magnification throws it out of focus. Tried to adjust focus and parallax, but to NO avail at all.

I must say that I am pretty upset about this. I will call sightron tomorrow, but I have a shoot coming up very quickly and I need as much time to get used to it as possible. I might just have to return it and get another scope model...just hate to do it because the scope was highly recommended.
I noticed the same thing. The side focus at infinity doesn't even work. It seems like 3/4 way is the real infinity.

Here's what really pisses me off: My Sightron 6-24x next to my Barska Swat 6-24X; at full magnification the Sightron has a minimal (if ANY) of an improved picture. And the Sightron was over 3 times more $$$! It may just be because the sightron isn't mounted on a rifle and bipod yet, but you would think you'd be able to tell atleast some difference. I'm starting to wonder if Sightron hires people to get on these forums and tell everybody how great their scopes are.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,513
Re: Bad Glass in Sightron?

Quote: Originally Posted by bryceh12321
"Yeah I just tried, and I was able to adjust it about 48 MOA up. So, i'm pretty sure its the new model."


It should have 100 MOA if it's a new generation model. The new gens are the only ones getting good reviews.
__________________
"I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid." - Terry Bradshaw
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 57
Re: Bad Glass in Sightron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by bryceh12321
"Yeah I just tried, and I was able to adjust it about 48 MOA up. So, i'm pretty sure its the new model."


It should have 100 MOA if it's a new generation model. The new gens are the only ones getting good reviews.

Yeah, ~48 up and ~48 down is ~100 MOA.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wampum, PA
Posts: 1,513
Re: Bad Glass in Sightron?

Too Bad! Let us know about your customer service experience with them. Every scope MFG out there has a lemon or two. Let's see if they make it right for you.
__________________
"I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid." - Terry Bradshaw
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 125
Re: Bad Glass in Sightron?

Man, I hate seeing this!

I recently had two SIII Sightrons....one I bought brand new just a few months ago, and the other I got with a used rifle purchase. I really liked the brand new one and therefore I was excited to have an SIII on the used package. When the used package came, I immediately noticed a difference in SIII scopes. On the used scope the lettering on the objective was all matte finished where as it was inlayed in gold on the new scope. The eye-piece and side focus was a little different as well. Both scopes were very clear, so I wasn't too concerned. However when using them both in the field, I noticed that the scope that came on the used package had a side focus that didn't seem to work so great. I couldn't get much adjustment out of it. Compared to the new version, it didn't seem to work at all.

I ended up calling Sightron and they confirmed that my used scope was an older generation of the SIII. You can tell because the new gen's have a serial or model number on the under side of the turret bell housing. The old models do not have that number.

That being said, I did like the new SIII enough to think I would purchase another if I get in that market, but I don't like what I am reading in this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 57
Re: Bad Glass in Sightron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater225 View Post
Man, I hate seeing this!

I recently had two SIII Sightrons....one I bought brand new just a few months ago, and the other I got with a used rifle purchase. I really liked the brand new one and therefore I was excited to have an SIII on the used package. When the used package came, I immediately noticed a difference in SIII scopes. On the used scope the lettering on the objective was all matte finished where as it was inlayed in gold on the new scope. The eye-piece and side focus was a little different as well. Both scopes were very clear, so I wasn't too concerned. However when using them both in the field, I noticed that the scope that came on the used package had a side focus that didn't seem to work so great. I couldn't get much adjustment out of it. Compared to the new version, it didn't seem to work at all.

I ended up calling Sightron and they confirmed that my used scope was an older generation of the SIII. You can tell because the new gen's have a serial or model number on the under side of the turret bell housing. The old models do not have that number.

That being said, I did like the new SIII enough to think I would purchase another if I get in that market, but I don't like what I am reading in this thread.

You know, I think I'm going to have to take back about all that I said. I did not mention this, but I was comparing that Barska with my Sightron looking through my patio window. This is what I can't figure out:

The Barska looks the same when looking through the window and taking it outside, but the Sightron looks 100x better when it is outside compared to when it is going through a window. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that was the problem. Maybe I'll take them both outside and compare them again tomorrow, but for right now, I would say Sightron is making a comeback in my book.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 157
Re: Bad Glass in Sightron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceh12321 View Post

I'm starting to wonder if Sightron hires people to get on these forums and tell everybody how great their scopes are.


You know, I think I'm going to have to take back about all that I said.
Is Sightron paying you now?

David
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Bad Glass in Sightron?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GLASS HELP!..plz. ishootkittens Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 1 08-21-2011 05:20 PM
VX-3 or MK4 is the glass the same Iron Worker Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 5 06-06-2010 03:00 PM
Glass on a Leupold VX-7 Iron Worker Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 3 02-07-2010 07:39 PM
ED Glass? Forester Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 7 03-27-2009 06:03 AM
glass bed jrdoty The Basics, Starting Out 2 06-24-2005 01:41 AM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 31.86%
65 Votes
NO - 51.96%
106 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 16.18%
33 Votes
Total Votes: 204
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC