Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Bad Glass in Sightron?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Bronze Member

Bad Glass in Sightron?

I just got a Sightron SIII 6-24LRMD, and the glass seems a bit dim to me. Does anyone know if Sightron ever accidentally sent out a crappy quality of glass?
Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 PM

Re: Bad Glass in Sightron?

Is it the new model with 100 moa windage and elevation adj.?

I just purchased a new in box older model SIII 6-24x50 with 50 moa adj that has glass that is sub par for what you expect from Sightron. It is not as clear as my Big Sky SII. I sent it back under warranty and ask for it to be replaced. They haven't replaced it yet because it takes a few weeks. From what I have read they have excellent customer service. We will see.

I read a post on another forum about a guy who purchased a SIII a while back that had less than high quality glass in it. He sent it back to Sightron and they replaced with no questions asked.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 03-28-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
Is it the new model with 100 moa windage and elevation adj.?

I just purchased a new in box older model SIII 6-24x50 with 50 moa adj that has glass that is sub par for what you expect from Sightron. It is not as clear as my Big Sky SII. I sent it back under warranty and ask for it to be replaced. They haven't replaced it yet because it takes a few weeks. From what I have read they have excellent customer service. We will see.

I read a post on another forum about a guy who purchased a SIII a while back that had less than high quality glass in it. He sent it back to Sightron and they replaced with no questions asked.

GC
Yeah I just tried, and I was able to adjust it about 48 MOA up. So, i'm pretty sure its the new model. Maybe I just had my expectations a little too high. I guess the sun was almost down for the day when I was looking through it too.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:42 PM

The new Model SIII I have looked through in the bright day light had glass that was very clear and bright.

GC
Old 03-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

My SIII has excellent glass. I would call Sightron, they will make it right.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot38 View Post
My SIII has excellent glass. I would call Sightron, they will make it right.

This is wierd stumbling on this thread.

I just bought on Friday a SII 6.5-20x50 and it was clear. Now, having fired 1 (yes, a single round), it is fuzzy and out of focus. The glass is clear at 6.5 power, but adjusting it at all to a higher magnification throws it out of focus. Tried to adjust focus and parallax, but to NO avail at all.

I must say that I am pretty upset about this. I will call sightron tomorrow, but I have a shoot coming up very quickly and I need as much time to get used to it as possible. I might just have to return it and get another scope model...just hate to do it because the scope was highly recommended.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceh12321 View Post
Yeah I just tried, and I was able to adjust it about 48 MOA up. So, i'm pretty sure its the new model.

It should have 100 MOA if it's a new generation model.