Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

B&C vs. BDC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 09:04 AM

B&C vs. BDC

Advice appreciated. I'm going to purchase a VX-III for the 300. I cannot decide on a 3.5 X 10 with the B&C reticle or the 4.5 X 14 and a custom target turret. Rifle is primarily an elk rifle. Shooting 200 grain ABs at 2875 fps. 500 yards is a very long shot for me (Been blowing up milk jugs a 400 consistenly with this rifle).

I decided against the 4.5 X 14 with the B&C reticle because I don't want to limit myself to a 14X scope in order to use the reticle. FOV is too tight. The ability to aim dead on at longer ranges as well as dial in to the exact yardage is attractive. Then again, the built in hold-over offered by the B&C reticle is dead on for my load according to the charts and my shooting. What to do????
Old 04-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

Re: B&C vs. BDC

[ QUOTE ]
Advice appreciated. I'm going to purchase a VX-III for the 300. I cannot decide on a 3.5 X 10 with the B&C reticle or the 4.5 X 14 and a custom target turret. Rifle is primarily an elk rifle. Shooting 200 grain ABs at 2875 fps. 500 yards is a very long shot for me (Been blowing up milk jugs a 400 consistenly with this rifle).

I decided against the 4.5 X 14 with the B&C reticle because I don't want to limit myself to a 14X scope in order to use the reticle. FOV is too tight. The ability to aim dead on at longer ranges as well as dial in to the exact yardage is attractive. Then again, the built in hold-over offered by the B&C reticle is dead on for my load according to the charts and my shooting. What to do????

[/ QUOTE ]

i have been rolling this one around in my head for some time now,and have come to the conclusion that it is better to dial in the range,than use a ret,as the ret will only be spot on the mark at given rangers (IE, if the beast is between the dots,and you have to hold between them.)but if you need to make a quick follow up shot,then the ret is better (as you can use it quicker )
but i am sure that someone better experienced will give a lot better explanation.

thats how i now see it.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

BDC reticles are only on with one load and altitude as altitude changes so does trajectory.The NP-R2 Nightforce reticle is marked into 2 MOA incrementsand and works well with minimal dialing of course the milldot also works well for those that understand it. If you get a BDC or B&C reticle as you progress and shoot farther you will find them lacking
Old 04-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Pre-64,

I went through the same and settled on the Mark 4 4.5x14PR along with the RX-IV range finder.There are several ballistic programs available. Just plug in your data and you can create you own drop chart. The B&C reticle is nice but you will have more flexability by dialing in your distances.
Another option would be to get the B&C reticle and have dials installed. Now you have more decisions! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

JD338
Old 04-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

I'd get the B&C + tgt. elevation turret. Then u can apply both if u wish, and just use the plex post tip for windage (@ 2.6 MOA) when dialing elevation. I like ballistic reticles, but then i'm the type that believes a ranging reticle is also a ballistic reticle and vice versa.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

For a beginner trying to stretch out to 500 yds the B&C (or any other BDC) is good and easy. When the day comes that you want to shoot over to the next ridgeline at 700 yds or so, you will need dial up knobs.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

I prefer neither because they are both just "ball park" methods. Learn to dial a turret using MOA and you'll be far ahead of the game and much more precise. JMHO.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.