Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

--> An Aussie requesting assistance finding a scope within my budget/requirements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 11:57 AM

Re: --> An Aussie requesting assistance finding a scope within my budget/requirements

Ain't that the truth!!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Re: --> An Aussie requesting assistance finding a scope within my budget/requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magcreedmoor View Post
Doesn't really matter which system you use, mils or moa, as long as your reticle and turret adjustments are the same system. I think in inches and yards, you in cm and meters, but scopes deal in angle. I run several Vortex Vipers with FFP reticles, moa pattern reticle matching moa turrets. Great scope for the price, if you can get them "down under".
Thanks for that, confirms my understanding. I am leaning toward a mil/mil type scope due to easier to read numbers and preference of reticle styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magcreedmoor View Post
Forgot- your parenthetical about FFP vs SFP reticle ranging is correct. A FFP reticle has a constant relationship to target size regardless of magnification, a SFP reticle must be set to the calibrated mag or you must multiply or divide to correct if on any other mag setting( a real pain in the butt) to get accurate readings. I have scopes of both types, and much prefer FFP. Vortex makes both.
Thanks for confirming this also :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners View Post
We do get vortex over here, I'm currently trying to decide between a viper hs 4-16 or going up to a ziess for my new 243. They are a little bit more than $500 I think it was 650 for the viper. I can't quite remember I was still recovering from the wife going berserk that I'd bought another rifle.
I have been looking at the viper hs 4-16 however doesn't it only come in a SFP option? Also the prices I have been seeing are higher then that, where have you seen it for $650? What Ziess models are you thinking of?

Haha I know what you mean mate, my partner is not too happy about me spending over a grand on a rifle! I am not even going to tell her how much the scope is going to cost as I'll probably end up having to buy her something too.

I am assuming you live in QLD, what part of QLD are you from if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 PM

I'm on the south side of Brisbane.
Just checked their (cleavers)web site the HS 4-16x50 is $625 but holy cow the HS 6-24x50 is only $655!! I believe you can get the HS in FFP but it's not listed. An MRAD PST 4-16 FFP is $869
I was looking at trying to get a Zeiss conquest 4.4-14 off eBay as I don't really want to heavy/large an optic on it and I want a scope with really good glass for a change.

Last edited by gunners; 06-21-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:41 AM

Quote:
I'm on the south side of Brisbane.
Just checked their (cleavers)web site the HS 4-16x50 is $625 but holy cow the HS 6-24x50 is only $655!! I believe you can get the HS in FFP but it's not listed. An MRAD PST 4-16 FFP is $869
I was looking at trying to get a Zeiss conquest 4.4-14 off eBay as I don't really want to heavy/large an optic on it and I want a scope with really good glass for a change.
Likewise. I am in Browns Plains actually. Do you go hunting or shooting on private land? I am looking to meet people that are into this sport as I currently only know a few people.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I ended up going with a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 Scope for $999. I went into the store intending to purchase the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP scope however after comparing I ended up finding that the Bushnell Elite 6500 met all of my requirements! Even though it is a SFP MOA/MOA scope, I am extremely happy with it! (I plan on buying a decent range finder down the track so it doesnt really bother me that I could only use the scope for ranging on the max zoom setting)
The Bushness Elite 6500 has Great eye relief, sold adjustments, holds zero perfectly throughout its zoom range, seems very durable and has extremely clear glass. I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for a new scope with similar requirements.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 AM

Hi wayno I'm just at Drewvale, if you are a member of the SSAA you can join the CWM division like I did, and get to meet lots of people and get to go on lots of projects targeting ferals.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Hi wayno I'm just at Drewvale, if you are a member of the SSAA you can join the CWM division like I did, and get to meet lots of people and get to go on lots of projects targeting ferals.
Hi mate, I am a member of the SSAA, one of those people I was talking about is part of that division actually. I am definitely going to join!
Old 06-24-2014, 04:03 AM

I think they have the contact numbers on the website. It usually takes one day course that the run once a month for your theory part, then there's a marksmanship component you have to get witnessed by the range officer. Then your pretty much good to go. Pm me if you want any more info