Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Anyone using the Horus Reticle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

This is not an exhaustive list but a place to start.

The hot scope seems to be the Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50 FFP with the Horus H59 Reticle. It's not illuminated and costs about $1600. You can get it from Horus.
Horus also sells Horus branded scopes in the $1,000-1,300 range.

Leupold sells the Mark 4 4.5-14x50 and 6.5-20x50 ER/T scopes with a variety of Horus reticles ($2,200-2,400).

At the high end of the price spectrum is the Nightforce NSX 3.5-15x50 F1 H58 at nearly $2,800. Makes the Bushnell seem like a bargain.

Other mfrs have announced availability of Horus reticles from time-to-time, but availability can be a challenge.

Adjusting to mil turrets is easy. Frankly, you won't be using them much if you go with a Horus reticle.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 12-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone using the Horus Reticle?

your on a hunting forum and to say the horus reticle shines as a hunting reticle over a turret with marked ranges on it I just don't see it. I take most of my shots in the mornings and evenings light isn't the best. the spotting your first shot and adjusting doesn't fly with me, we are shooting at animals, do they stand there and not move after a shot?? no, what about people in a sniping situation?? the argument about spotting your shots and correcting faster doesn't hold water for me outside of using the system at a range.

as for having to dials to adjust on a turret system. me as well as most people I know doing long range hunting, dial for elevation hold for wind. for me its just a matter of turning my turret to 650 and holding for the wind which is also marked on my elevation turret. no fumbling around with range cards or charts, or PDA software. if the conditions don't match my BDC turret exactly, I know that roughly I made need to add or take away a click here or there when the ranges get longer than 700 yards or so. I still don't see how a grid reticle is going to shine here. all the reticle is is a BDC reticle on steroids.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy View Post
your on a hunting forum and to say the horus reticle shines as a hunting reticle over a turret with marked ranges on it I just don't see it. I take most of my shots in the mornings and evenings light isn't the best. the spotting your first shot and adjusting doesn't fly with me, we are shooting at animals, do they stand there and not move after a shot?? no, what about people in a sniping situation?? the argument about spotting your shots and correcting faster doesn't hold water for me outside of using the system at a range.
There are cases where shots are fired from far enough away that animals will freeze, or jog a short distance and then stop and in those cases the horus reticle would shine. If you don't like it that's fine, but that's really got nothing to do with what this thread is about.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

[QUOTE= I still don't see how a grid reticle is going to shine here. all the reticle is is a BDC reticle on steroids.[/QUOTE]

I agree that a BDC reticle which is matched to the cartridge/rifle/bullet being used is faster to use than the Horus reticle since it skips the step of converting measured range to position on the reticle. Once you call the ballistic calulator into use the speed avantage is neutral and the Horus reticle gives better precision if only from being able to interpolate between the markings more precisely. For shorter ranges the BDC reticle is arguably better and faster.

The fastest reticle is simply shooting point blank with a simple low power fixed crosshair with no calculations. That can work to 300 yard+ for big game and suitable cartridge/bullet selection.

The best scope? Use what works for the way you hunt and shoot.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:20 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
your on a hunting forum and to say the horus reticle shines as a hunting reticle over a turret with marked ranges on it I just don't see it...
It's also a LONG RANGE hunting forum. Perhaps you missed the five times I said LONG RANGE in my first post.

When I'm shooting long distance at dawn or dusk, if there is sufficient light to see the target well enough to make the shot, there is enough light to see the reticle.

At long range animals and humans (in combat) often move a only short distance and then stop after being missed by a bullet. The gunshot is distant and the supersonic crack or impact is often not recognized as a threat. Or it's misinterpreted as a threat coming from the wrong direction.

I agree that using turret knobs and a mil dot reticle is the most common method for making long range shots. Using a Horus reticle is superior because it's faster and less susceptible to error. Whether or not it's more accurate depends on the specific scopes being compared (some turret knobs are far from accurate). It's also relatively new and expensive, which is why it's less common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
...no fumbling around with range cards or charts, or PDA software. if the conditions don't match my BDC turret exactly, I know that roughly I made need to add or take away a click here or there when the ranges get longer than 700 yards or so. I still don't see how a grid reticle is going to shine here. all the reticle is is a BDC reticle on steroids.
A "click here or there" at >700 yds? Really? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. Perhaps you're using a super flat shooting cartridge, you never shoot up or down hill, you always zero your rifle at the same elevation you hunt at, and the barometric pressure never changes where you hunt. For me, however, a one click correction or a BDC reticle won't cut it at that range. Variations in elevation, barometric pressure and inclination can easily throw a shot off a foot or more at 700 yds, which turns an ethical shot into a miss, or worse, a wounded animal that wanders off for hours. I wouldn't attempt a shot at that range unless I was using a ballistic calculator and was confident in my wind estimation.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 12-31-2011, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

BDCs work nice but you are limited to a certain class of firearms and weather conditions can change the trajectory causing problems at longer ranges. Using a Mil or Moa based scope eliminates this problem when used with a ballistic computer. I have used the Horus H25 a long time and I love it. I have a n easy to use formula for a 308 and an Edge or Lapua for drops and wind. I keep it in my head so it don't need batteries.

308 175 SMK 2650
Drop= Range minus 2--- example 450 yds. -2 = 2.50 mils, this will get you close from 300 to 650 yds.

Wind calss are Distance times wind speed the double the result.

Example, 9 mph wind 600 yds = .54 times 2 = 1.08 mils

338 Edge 300 SMK at 2850

Drop is range - 3. 800 yds -3= 5 mils

Wind call is Range times wind. 800 yds 7 mph wind = .56 mils

This will usually get you within a tenth of a mil or so from 300 to 600 yds for the 308 and from 400 to 1000 yds for the Edge or Lapua. For distances closer or further I have learned to tack on a tenth or two where needed.

Also the Horus is deadly on targets close to a mil in height for wind calls and movers.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
I

A "click here or there" at >700 yds? Really? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. Perhaps you're using a super flat shooting cartridge, you never shoot up or down hill, you always zero your rifle at the same elevation you hunt at, and the barometric pressure never changes where you hunt. For me, however, a one click correction or a BDC reticle won't cut it at that range. Variations in elevation, barometric pressure and inclination can easily throw a shot off a foot or more at 700 yds, which turns an ethical shot into a miss, or worse, a wounded animal that wanders off for hours. I wouldn't attempt a shot at that range unless I was using a ballistic calculator and was confident in my wind estimation.
yes a click here or there, run the numbers I hunt from about 5000 feet to 10000 feet a turret that is setup for 7-8000 feet will not be that far off same with temperature, you know all this before, heck I have a turret that I have not changed out yet that is for a 3200 fps load, I have since backed my load off to 3130 fps, I know at about 550 yards I need an extra click, at 750 2 extra clicks, at 900ish 3 extra clicks beyond the marked range on my turret. It still works fine for my use.

all the problems of barometric pressure, inclination all that are all the SAME problems the horus reticle has to deal with as well. again is it easier to know and remember you need extra clicks because its 10 degrees outside or will it be more confusing looking at a range card and remembering that. I will take a marked turret EVERY time.

John Burns Whitetail Buck 760yds 2011.mp4 - YouTube!

watch this video around the 29 second point, how can anyone look me in the eye and tell me adjusting that turret to 750 is going to be slower than digging a range card out of your pocket and holding on one of those little points. the reticle does not need to be powered with a more complicated illumination setup, its useable in fading light and the bottom 3rd of the reticle is still useable. the only thing the horus has IMO is it does not need to rely on how good the scope tracks, however with .2 mil the smallest measurement I would argue that even a cheap scope should be accurate to that too. also when using the horus for wind hold offs most of the time you will not having a specific aim point but rather be holding inbetween non existent lines. I think that while not too big a deal will make alot of people second guess their hold.