Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Anyone using Burris scopes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Silver Member
Anyone using Burris scopes?

Every time someone asks for advice on a lower priced scope, the same ones are recommended--Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold. Why not Burris? I've been looking at the Fullfield II tactical models, and they look nice. Surely someone is using them. Any info? Likes/dislikes? Is there a reason they're seldom recommended?

Unread 07-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member
I looked at em about a year back. Almost the first thing I do when looking at a scope is look at the knobs. Lot of scopes just aren't made for dialing all the time. The knobs on the Burris tactical had two problems. First they were numbered backwards. If you needed to turn up the numbers got smaller. So if I wanted to turn up five minutes I had to subtract from 14.5 instead of simply turning up to the five. Besides being backwards, the knob didn't end on a whole number. So, if the thing tracked at all I would have to do backwards math further complicated by the half number.

I called Burris twice. They sounded confused by my questions (some customer service girl who'd never shot a rifle or dialed a knob in her life). I finally asked them to send me replacement knobs. They told me they were available and would arrive shortly. They never did. I didn't buy the Burris and probably never will.

When it comes to spending money I don't like to gamble. I bought a Burris years ago, before I needed scopes with long range capabilities. I liked the scope and wanted to buy another. Burris just goofed with that product. If you find things different I'd like to know.

As for other "inexpensive" scopes, I have had great luck with Nikon. However, the more you play this game the more demanding you will become. If you buy from Cabelas (link on the home page) they have a satisfaction guarantee. You can try a product and bring it back if it doesn't perform. That's worh a lot.
Unread 07-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I have a 8-32x Signature, and it has really good glass. It tracks quite well, I've went from 100 yard zero to 600 and back, and it's been dead on every time. BUT, it only has 20 MOA of adjustment, and will get me to about 800 yards with my 6mm Ackley. If it had double the adjustment it would be a great scope, but as it is I wish I had something else, but hey for getting it for $100 is a steal any way you look at it.
Unread 07-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member
I have two Black Diamonds ,they both track well and the glass is good. I also havce a couple of the Bushnell Elite scope in both 3200 and 4200 and they both work very well , clear and bright but they both stay zeroed at a set range.
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Molon Labe
Unread 07-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

My choices for a good mid range priced scopes are Leupold, Burris,Nikon
and bushnell Based on "my" likes and uses.

My favorite scope is the leupold LPS because of the features and light
gathering ability.

Next is the burris scopes with side focus and posi lock because they are
very very tough and not quite as expensive as the LPS.

The nikon buckmaster is a very nice scope with great glass for the money.

And the bushnell would be my fourth choice in this price range.

I have tried the "Cheeper" scopes and had trouble with everone of them.
these are in the $200.oo or less range and I will not waste my time and money
on any more of these scopes.

I havent tryed the zeiss conquest but it looks like a good scope for the money.

But if you want to spend $1200.oo and up then there are lots of choices.

Most deer hunters find it hard to spend more for a scope than they spent
on there rifle so the $300.oo to $600.oo is the range they buy.

And to answer your question ,I don't know why more Burris are recomended.

It,s just a matter of personal preference.

Unread 07-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Bronze Member
I worked for a very large shooting supply company (supposably the #1 seller of optics) and we had more return on Burris scopes than any other. BSA was second. That say something...and it's not good. I've also used a few Burris scopes that are really good, but I won't be buying any.
Unread 07-08-2008, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member
I've read some negative things about Burris scopes from a fellow that makes his living selling scopes. He also hunts and uses scopes himself. He knows a fair amount about glass and optics. Based on those comments, I won't be purchasing Burris scopes until I start to hear and read of improving quality from some people that are knowledgable and informed on scope quality.

So many hunters have only used one or two brands of scopes and end up developing a loyalty to them, deserved or undeserved. I used to be one of them and got along OK - ignorance was bliss. Eventually I became aware of better optics for the same money I was paying for my long-time brand. Exposure to all the different brands and options available is a valuable asset. I value reading about scope quality from dealers that both sell and use scopes because they get exposure to so many different brands and models. Scott from Liberty Optics and Jon from The Optic Zone are just two examples that quickly come to mind. They'll ocassionally offer a largely unbiased opinion and I pay attention when they do.