Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Anyone familur with this range finder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2002, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: Anyone familur with this range finder?

Mike W.

I have one of the US military lasers, and though it has lotsa range, it's not what I would take on a dog shoot... the beam skims across the ground (getting bigger as it goes), and you will never get the range of the dog you want, but you will get reflections from everything out to 10 miles in full sunshine [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I have a Wild optical rangefinder, and it can pick out one doggie in a crowd of a thousand [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img], and it's the only range finder I would take on a dog shoot in flat country!

CatShooter.

LRH member #23
Old 01-06-2002, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

Hello

It seems that my Russian Military will range a VERY small object at extended range. I ranged crows at 1000 yards without problems.

Have tested it on small rocks and bushes from 100 yards to 3000 yards without problems too. I had it set up on it's own tripod at the time and also used the remote switch where you don't touch the unit at all to fire it. It must have a very steady hold on the target to accuratly read a small object.
Hand holding them is not as accurate unless you have a larger object such as an elk to range. You just can't hand hold them steady enough.
Darryl Cassel

Later
Darryl Cassel
Old 01-06-2002, 11:39 AM
PUBLISHER

Darryl

On my Wisconsin hunting land, a deer with only its head and shoulders showing above 30 inch high marsh grass is a difficult rangefinder target.

When ranging a relatively small object (maybe in a brushy or tall grassy area) at a range of 1k or more with your Russian unit how do you know what you have really ranged?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-06-2002, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Hello Len

I take more then one range in the vacinity of the target. A stump, a tree, a rock, the game, what ever I can see through the cross hair in the view finder.
As I mentioned, when it's up on the tripod and I have the remote hooked up. it is VERY steady and NO movement. The readings come back different even close to the target if the targets are 5 meters away from the game.

For instance, the elk may be ranged at 1400 meters. It will constantly range 1400 meters no matter how many times I range it. The small rock just in front of him will come back as 1395 meters, the stump behind him will come back as 1405 meters.
I have even taken a tree that leaned away from me. At the base and at the middle of the trunk is where I ranged. The base reading came back as a set yardage and half way up the lEANING (away from me) tree trunk was a 5 meter further reading.

This tells me I am ranging EACH target I am shooting with the rangefinder.

I just did this (last week) on my back porch here in Driftwood. I range different known yardages and target sizes in the mountain.

The Russian will range anything seperatly when on the tripod and the remote is hooked up. The second button on the remote is for another range on a moving target.

I must admit, I have not ranged a target in a sea of tall grass. If I have something sticking it's head up above 30" grass, I'm sure it will range it. I have ranged into and over thick, heavy oak brush at elk heads sticking up. The mountains are very steep where we are at and we are not rangeing something in a flat area.

The Russian is a fine, powerful unit.
Darryl Cassel

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 01-07-2002, 09:01 AM
Bronze Member

The russian model is a military one isn't it. Has the US military made one with performance similar to the russian and if so are any available to the public.
I know the russian is a great unit but it seems that there must be others that have similar performance. I'm just wondering because I don't have the funds to get one at this time.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:11 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Mike W,
Do you have web sites for WILD or barr and stroud??
I'm saving my pennies for the Russian but with the new rifle project I know where they are already going....
Old 01-07-2002, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

The Wild can be found at Duetsche Optic