Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Anyone ever hear of Newcon Optik?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

Anyone ever hear of Newcon Optik?

I came across the name "Newcon Optik" in my travels surfing the net, and was curious if anyone had any experience with their laser rangefinders? I am in the market for a new one and these might be something I'd be interested in.

Night Vision, Laser Range Finders, Thermal, Stabilized Imagers, Binoculars, Goggles, Monoculars, Night Vision Scopes by Newcon Optik

So, any insight or experience welcomed.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone ever hear of Newcon Optik?

After owning nearly every kind of rangefinder including Newcon Optik 1500 I will say definitely NO! I used it for a couple months and sold it. I had better results with the Bushnell 1000 (early model) Don't waste your money on Leupold either.

I think I share the same opinion as others on here. I would highly recommend the Leica 1600 which I now own after selling my swarovski.
For the money they can't be beat.

I hope my 2 cents was worth it.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

The 3000 Pros flat out work. The cheaper models seem to be very hit and miss.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
The 3000 Pros flat out work. The cheaper models seem to be very hit and miss.

Jon,

Any detail on beam divergence. I read the manua and didn't come up with a value.

I has the nearest, farthest feature and from the name I gather its supposed to be good for 3k?

I also haven't found a price......

I found the price but........also noted this on the specs?? Distance 15 - 1500 m ????????Measuring Distance Range (m):15-1500Measuring Distance Range (m):15-1500

I then found the LRB 4000CI!!! That one has me thinking....... but is as much as a PLRF-10 which has a very good reputation, at least around here.....

Thanks

Last edited by royinidaho; 06-02-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Any detail on beam divergence. I read the manua and didn't come up with a value.
I measured it at about 1.8 wide by 0.7 mils high.

More info in my original thread: Newcon LRB 7X40 3000 Pro Initial Impressions: .

Quote:
I has the nearest, farthest feature and from the name I gather its supposed to be good for 3k?
Yeah, I think nearest, farthest and biggest return.

It'll go past 3K but it needs to be a big and reflective object.

Quote:
I found the price but........also noted this on the specs?? Distance 15 - 1500 m ????????Measuring Distance Range (m):15-1500Measuring Distance Range (m):15-1500
I don't know where you found that, it's listed 10-3000m everywhere I can find.
Quote:
I then found the LRB 4000CI!!! That one has me thinking....... but is as much as a PLRF-10 which has a very good reputation, at least around here.
Yeah, if you can afford that you should probably go with the PLRF-10.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Jon,

Don't want to afford the PLRF.........

I studied, with intensity, your review. Wow, that was 5 years ago. Where was I hiding?

The bottom two pics of the cows. One with a cow and a half in the box and the next one with the single cow.

The reason I studied those two pics so much was that when I did a field calibration of my Leica 1200 I learned that the beam was spot on for windage and about a quarter beam low.

That is, the top of the beam was about a quarter beam height down from the top of the aiming rectangle. Same for the bottom of the beam wrt the bottom of the aiming rectangle.

Beam width very closely fit the width of the aiming rectangle.

I'll be doing some serious shopping between now and next spring as I'll be doing no hunting until then.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I've had the thing for 5 years now. While I do wish it had better glass I don't think I've ever been disappointed in its ranging performance.

Finding out where the beam is vs the reticle is a very good idea and will be very helpful when aiming at small/far things. Don't put too much thought into those pics of the cows though--by the time I snap the pic the reticle isn't necessarily in the same place as it was when I hit the range button. I've ranged things and then taken a picture only to make it look like in the picture I completely missed the object!