Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Anybody know anything about Vortex Viper Binoculars?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

+1 for Scott, the spotters are ??? but the bino's are getting great reviews and P.S. BUY THEM FROM SCOTT, he is a great supporter of all these forums.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

slight mistake, sorry

The bino review I was talking about was for the Vortex Diamondbacks.

Sorry but I would still buy them.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
+1 for Scott, the spotters are ??? but the bino's are getting great reviews and P.S. BUY THEM FROM SCOTT, he is a great supporter of all these forums.

Thank you very much. We are also a staunch supporter of RKBA and I'm a shooter/hunter/gun nut, too.

As for the Diamondbacks, I think Doug at Cameraland has a special on cosmetic blem Coyote colored Diamondbacks for like $129. This price can't be beat, and for binos to kick around in they do the job. I am partial to the Vipers, or the Razors if you like the open hinge styling.

Scott
Old 08-23-2011, 06:33 PM

Re: Anybody know anything about Vortex Viper Binoculars?

I just went to whole sale sports and compared the tallon hd to the zeiss victory and did not see much difference at all and the viper is a step up from the tallon. In my opion there is not 1000 dolars difference maybee 100 . I know they won several catagorys for being one of the best for the money. I never even looked through a pair and bought with confidence from doug at camra land. kellyw
Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

Good glass for the money.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

what I find truely impressive is how vortex has marketed themselves. they went from nothing to being sold everywhere. keep in mind, I know I keep saying this but vortex doesn't actually make anything, they just label products generally built in asia with their name. some of these are probably built to their spec others might be existing product that their name is thrown on. while this isn't always a bad thing. it just means vortex has less control over the final product than alot of other companies. many optics companies do the same as vortex does to some or all of their line. I would be really weary of spending more than a few hundred on any of their products, reason being is they tend to blow out price the old models quite often. a buddy of my bought a vortex skyline spotter, without asking me, as I would have told him to get the leupold kenai, in any event he paid over $700 for that spotter, last I looked doug was blowing them out for $449. he has owned the spotter for less than a year and its worth half what he paid for it. contrast that to a leupold gold ring spotter that I owned for 6 years and sold it for MORE than I paid for it.

if your going to be spending more than $1000, I would buy, leica, swaro, ziess, or leupold, I just can't lay out that kind of coin for a product that is going to be blowout priced 6 mos later or has no established resale value. I horse trade in and out of optics all the time, I need retained value.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:02 PM

I bought a pair of Viper 6x32 binoculars and flat out love them. They are always around my neck while bowhunting, and most everywhere I hunt with less than a 300 yard shot. I also abuse them quite well while turkey hunting as I tend to pretty much bang the crap out of my stuff while going after gobblers.

I am now eyeing the new Viper HD 10x42 vs a Zeiss Conquest 10x40, and am leaning toward the Viper...