Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Anybody know anything about Vortex Viper Binoculars?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coues Sniper View Post
Optical quality is good for the price. Durability is an issue however with many people i have spoken with.

I believe the overall optical quality is better than the price, and do tell about the durability issues. Is this from dealers? Customers? What were the issues? Impact breakages? Wearing out? Things coming loose?

Thanks.

Scott
Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

One guy had the focus knob on his spotting scope go out (as in not work at all) 2 days into a 7 day hunt. He ended up somehow returning it to the store he got it from and went with a different brand. Similar problems on the binoculars, parts coming loose, etc. To be fair, I've never owned a pair, I have just had friends tell me they were disappointed in their "toughness and physical quality".
Old 07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

OK, now we're getting somewhere. The spotters are made in China and I am not a fan of them, I won't steer anybody to their spotters.

The Vipers and Razors are high spec Made in Japan and I've never heard of that happening. I've had it happen with other higher end makes but not the Vortex yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Scott
Old 07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

Good information about the spotting scopes made in China. Why would they do that though?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:07 AM
Silver Member

Why is like 90% of all sporting optics made in China? Cheap cost with reasonable quality for the masses.

As to why Vortex chose this route, only they can answer that. I can tell you that I have shared the complaints about the spotters with them, and recently returned all the Impact spotters I had after I spent some time with them. To their credit, they take it in stride. A great bunch of folks.

Scott
Old 07-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

I understand that it is cheaper. I was asking why they would knowingly sacrifice quality on their spotting scopes. "Reasonable quality" and spotty construction are not attractive to me. I'd rather spend more and be confident that my optics won't let me down in the middle of a hunt. To each his own.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Thumbs up for Vortex

I just read a great review of the Vipers over on Snipershide.com Cameraland.com has them priced right. The reviewer bought a pair of "blems" said the rubber coating was a little off color, paid $127$

I love my Monarch ATB's but may get a pair for my "daughter"???

If you buy them give us a range report.