Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

any one like IOR Valdada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
With the reticle in the FFP it is calibrated/accurate an any powder setting. That is also the same as the weaver. The first focal plane thing is pretty sweet. Just like your fixed power, the stadia is always what it says it is. The only downer with the weaver is the !/8" MOA click.
Crud Roy, I was looking at your later post and missed this. Nevermind what I said above--if you're used to FFP and like that, you'd certainly like the FFP 3-18 better. .1 Mil clicks will be a welcome change as well. To me they're "just right" at roughly 1/3 MOA fitting right between 1/4 MOA and 1/2 MOA clicks. I couldn't stand 1/8 MOA clicks...I think I'd find myself using the reticle a lot more.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:34 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the input about the Butler Creeks guys.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

I have a 4-14 X 50 with the MP8
and i was thinking of getting another one in the 3-18 X42 but I was worried about the 42 mm I know it has a 35 mm tube i see you have one what do you think
Old 05-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Youíre worried it wonít be bright enough? I guess thatís possible, depending upon your needs--itís not a night hunting scopeóbut not very likely during legal hours I donít think. I can tell you how it compares with the 4-14X50 as I compared the two extensively so you can get a better idea.

In short, itís not quite as bright as the 4-14 just past legal hours. Some have said they thought it was but testing side by side to my eye I could tell the 14X was brighter. Of course this is to be expected when it has a 50mm objective with top quality glass and coatings as well.

However, the 3-18 was usable longer. My 4-14 wasnít illuminated and so the reticle would get hard to see and at some point disappearóyouíd be able to see what you were looking at but might not feel comfortable taking a shot because youíre losing the reticle. At that time, the 3-18 while not quite as bright, would still be bright enough to see what youíre looking at and the FFP reticle would stand out and be easy to see. So the end result was the 3-18 easily beat the 4-14 for low light use despite not being quite as brightóyou could simply make a shot later with it. Now if your 4-14 is illuminated that might change things a bit, keeping it useful later.

Of course everything is relativeóthatís comparing it to the IOR 4-14X50mm which is an incredibly bright, sharp scope. If you compare it to say, a Leupold 50mm objective youíll easily be able to see better with the 42mm IOR. The glass is just that much better. So if youíve gotten by with a scope like that in the past youíll be even better off with the 42mm IOR.

Hopefully that helps. BTW, except for brightness I feel the 3-18 beats the 4-14 optically in about every other way and overall like it much betteróand I liked the 4-14 a lot. Of course my 4-14 was SFP and had the old knobs which is a lot of it right there, but the 3-18 pretty much does everything better in a much smaller package. I think if a guy can afford it, itís well worth the money over the 14X. And Iím saying that after I broke two of them (first batch of the SH version that had problems) so that should tell you how much I like it.