Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

any one like IOR Valdada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

I own two 3-18 x 42mm IORs and really like the MP-8 reticle, which I use for holdovers out to about 900 yds. Been using these scopes for about 3 years now on 7mm RMs. So far no complaints. The resolution these scopes provide is outstanding.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Bronze Member

IOR Valdada

I purchased an IOR Valdada 6x24x50 last year for long range shots and to be able to identify a buck at long range as a shooter. I never used more than 18 power and the furthest deer I shot was 100 yards. I did harvest a 146 class 10 point at only 70 yards. My rifle is a Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag with a Hart barrel. I'm shooting 77.5 grains of Reloader 22 with a Hornady 150 grain Interbond. I put a Kepplinger single set trigger on the rifle and accuracy has improved tremendously. At first, I set the trigger at 10 oz's. The gun went off so quickly, it was scary. I ended up at 16 oz's and feel more comfortable. With out setting the trigger, by pushing the trigger forward, the trigger is set at 21/2 pounds which is still not hard to pull.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:06 AM
Silver Member

Buitler Creek covers

ND Norm - I see you have Butler creeks on your IOR - my 4-14 has an eye piece larger than any of the Butler Creek eye piece covers. I'm guessing maybe you pulled off the little rubber ring and that helped, but then the cover must reduce your eyerelief (obviously only to the cover, but still). Either that or what? Maybe I'm not concentrating here, but I eventually ordered another objective cover for the eye piece.

My eye piece is 1.9" OD.

Thanks.

WL
Old 05-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRHWAL View Post
ND Norm - I see you have Butler creeks on your IOR - my 4-14 has an eye piece larger than any of the Butler Creek eye piece covers. I'm guessing maybe you pulled off the little rubber ring and that helped, but then the cover must reduce your eyerelief (obviously only to the cover, but still). Either that or what? Maybe I'm not concentrating here, but I eventually ordered another objective cover for the eye piece.

My eye piece is 1.9" OD

Thanks.

WL
the one I have is the snipers hide group designed 3-18 first focal plane and i just slipped on the ones that Scott from Liberty optics posted to use over on the hide
you might try giving Scott a call......
Scott Berish
Liberty Optics LLC
An Official Vendor of Sniper's Hide.
"See Better, Shoot Better" LibertyOpticsLLC
352-572-1469
406-890-2714 1800-2100 hours MST
Scott@LibertyOptics.com
Old 05-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Silver Member

lrhwal
i have the ior 4.5x14 and didnt have a problem installing eather butler creek covers mine slipped right over the adjustable eye piece.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
The 3X is great for strolling to the hide. 18 is plenty for whatever plus its gets very fast to set up the shot when the stadia are in MOA. It seems like any time savings is worth it.
If you want to stay MOA, and don't care too much about FFP, I think the 3-18 SFP is an excellent choice for you. Many may not realize the SFP version now comes with the new big knobs--25 MOA elevation. No more "counting the turns." Here are a couple pics I found (not mine):

I believe Scott at LO throws in a free set of Seekins rings which are SO much better than the IOR/TPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNorm View Post
the one I have is the snipers hide group designed 3-18 first focal plane and i just slipped on the ones that Scott from Liberty optics posted to use over on the hide
you might try giving Scott a call......
One thing I did that made the BC fit much better on my 3-18 was to shave it down so it was thinner and could be slid on all the way. I guess it depends where you have the focus ring, but as you can see here thinning it down worked really well:

I just held it to a sanding disk on a drill for a few seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRHWAL View Post
My eye piece is 1.9" OD.
Yeah, the 4-14 eyepiece is bigger, I never used a cap on mine. As Norm said, Scott could probably help you out.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

I like the

IOR scope I have . 9X36 X 56 w/ 34mm tube . Bright , good resolution , repeatable tracking , and if your grandson misplaces the baseball bat ....well , the IOR can pinch hit . But that is not a negative for me , the rifle I put it on weighs 15 lbs so whats 5 or 6 more ,eh ? . I guess the negatives for me are the clunky power selector ring ( can you say "non ergonomic" ) , the obesity that is due to lack of further machining ( thereby saving costs I guess ) , and the feel of the adjustment knobs . This last item would be easy to get used to ........I think .

It sure is nice to be able to crank it up to 36 X when the situation allows it .

jimmba