Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Any idea on these scopes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 10:26 PM

Re: Any idea on these scopes?

I have to wonder about the quality of the scope at that price. To a degree you get what you pay for. There are good deals to be had out there, but I would stick to a known brand. I have really been impressed with nikon lately. The nikon monarch seems like a good price for its performance level. I got a couple of them at huntersdiscount
I think the price on nikons is especially good for the parralax adjustable models.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Silver Member

Nikko seem to have dropped them though!
Old 07-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

contacted sportsman guide and the sales guy said they were made in eastern Europe for them. He didn't know if that is where the glass came from.

I have had good luck so far but I will agree most of the time you get what you pay for.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

This is what I had in mind - similar BUT not the same.
I think these were from the same factory.

They were always listed as japanese - but my guess is a mix of Japan (to get the made in Japan sticker) but alot of labour somewhere cheaper.

No longer in the Nikko site as they seem to have made a radical change.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Bronze Member

Sure you are right Chris and having regretably owned the big one piccied for 2 months, i could have saved money and had a PR Leupold VX3 20-50 which i now have.
Found this:
-Nikko Stirling International Trading Shanghai Ltd
Room 2406, Lucky Mansion
Shangcheng Road 660
Pudong, Shanghai
200120 China

Some scopes have stickers 'made in Asia' but Asia covers a vast area and not necessarily Japan. Unless specifically stated made in japland i would dismiss this as anywhere in Asia. Would not surprise me if there were any Indian or Pakistan made scopes after all a lot of our businesses are operating from there even 1 of the main 5 banks. Will not support these companies its a lot of hassle to get what you have paid for. Buy from your homeland or those closest to us.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

I know that HAKKO were doing alot in CHINA but by doing a % in Japan could use "MADE IN JAPAN" stickers. In the end their quality went to pot - and seems to me thay may have gone to the wall - The website has dissappeared anyway.

Pete L convinced me to go upmarket(he didnt have to try too much though) and I'm waiting for the S&B 5-25*56.

Nontheless I'm convinced there's a market for a decent midrange (not OTT) scope which in Europe seems to be lacking. It's Chinese cack or OTT (S&B et al). Leupies and I dont get on sadly - it's my eyes.

IOR for example seem not to have found a Euro-disti (save a swiss guy who bought from Valdada). I even thought about taking it on - but their min order limits were WAY out of my bracket.

Gerhardt (Nickel Supra) now only seem to sell direct from the factory.

Found a potential source in Moscow with inovative solutions (based on catadioptrics) - but they are simply VERY slow and unresponsive.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Bronze Member

I have always liked the Meopta scopes, no frills, European glass as supplied to other producers, just optically excellent at a cheap comparative price even after at least 6 price increases in 8 years, why pay more! Shame they dont do a high mag scope.

You may have found a source in Russia, but how about getting the things out of there!