Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Any experience with March scopes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Any experience with March scopes?

I was wondering if anyone is using March scopes for hunting. My buddy and I are buiding LR pistols, and want a low profile scope with high magnification. I understand the negatives of using a smaller objective with high magnification. I am specifically looking at this one Tactical 3-24 x 42 FFP.

Thanks,
Parker
Old 08-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Any experience with March scopes?

Looked through a few of them, but never owned one.

I do want a March-X Tactical 8-80x56 they offer for LR hunting and target shooting with my 7mm STW. They say from 60-80x there's no mirage, and that it's clear as a bell.

Granted, it costs 2x what a Nighforce does, but a ultra-clear, accurate 80x rifle scope just sounds awesome to me. I'll have one someday.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:32 AM

Parker, I have the March F 3-24x42 and it's an awesome scope, but I've never heard of anyone putting it on a pistol. Your issue is not going to be with either the objective or mag range, but with eye relief. The exit pupil at high mag is only 1.75mm and eye relief is about 90mm. That's going to severely limit the distance between your eye and the eye piece. For the full extension you will be shooting a pistol, I doubt that this scope is the one you want.
Skip
Old 08-12-2013, 12:46 AM

Mud, at the distances which the 8-80x56 is designed for, mirage is actually your friend in order to read the wind. I don't know of any scope that eliminates mirage. In most instances, you have to dial down the mag to reduce its influence. While I haven't gotten behind the 8-80x56, I do have a Meopta Meostar spotting scope which significantly reduces mirage. Even so, on a hot day, it needs to be dialed down.
Skip
Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

I've spent alot of time behind the March 10x60x52.Personally I wouldnt own one,,the eye box is tighter than a frogs azz and it's not anywhere near as bright as my ACTAR.As far as function it tracks as well as anything out there that I've seen.At 60x I promise you the mirage is still there it doesnt "go away",,,learn to shoot in the mirage no sense in turning the power down.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

So what would be your guys recomendation on a 40 or 42 mm objective scope with good eye relief? We want something with higher magnification than 14. We do not really care about cost, just want a smaller scope than a 50mm.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluebow View Post
I've spent alot of time behind the March 10x60x52.Personally I wouldnt own one,,the eye box is tighter than a frogs azz and it's not anywhere near as bright as my ACTAR.As far as function it tracks as well as anything out there that I've seen.At 60x I promise you the mirage is still there it doesnt "go away",,,learn to shoot in the mirage no sense in turning the power down.
Bingo. I'd pass on a March.