Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Anti cant device

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

Anti cant device

I was wondering how many of the long range hunters out there use an anti cant device? Why or why not. Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Anti cant device

I have a cosign indicator, but I don't use it anymore. I had to go in and get a new one because mine was sticking because it had dust in it. Not sure if it ever really worked all that well. I guess I need to try the new one. Although, one time I checked it against a leupold rangefinder and it matched. If I had the $100 to do over, I wouldn't buy one.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

I use one & I won't hesitate to state, most LONG range shooters do as well. I honestly done worry too much about cant inside 500yds but...... Cant can have a very significant effect on point of impact which in my limited knowledge increase right along with the range of the shot.

Take a look at the attached picture, this test was done (not by me) at 600yds IIRC with a 308. One with Left cant, no cant, & right cant, you will probably be as surprised as I was.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Anti cant device-aim-cant-effect.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 04:16 AM
Platinum Member

Now that picture is impressive. I am aware of the problem with a canted rifle, so have the device on many scopes. Problem is that in my hurry to get off a shot, I usually do not pay attention to it.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

I began using them a few years back and found that it made a substantial difference in my +500 yard shots. This is particularly the case when hunting with a bipod on uneven terrain, without the visual references that you generally have when shooting at the range or off a bench. The previous post demonstrating just 600 yards tells it all. All my LR rigs have either a Holland or Flatline level mounted. Very cheap insurance! IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I began using them a few years back and found that it made a substantial difference in my +500 yard shots. This is particularly the case when hunting with a bipod on uneven terrain, without the visual references that you generally have when shooting at the range or off a bench. The previous post demonstrating just 600 yards tells it all. All my LR rigs have either a Holland or Flatline level mounted. Very cheap insurance! IMHO.

I'm also running a Holland, very nice unit. Grey, you're making me jelous, I am trying to convince myself I don't need a FlatLine.... it's not working

I don't know about you guys but, i'm usually quite a ways off when I mount my rifle preparing to fire... Thank the lord for ACD's lol
Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I'm also running a Holland, very nice unit. Grey, you're making me jelous, I am trying to convince myself I don't need a FlatLine.... it's not working

I don't know about you guys but, i'm usually quite a ways off when I mount my rifle preparing to fire... Thank the lord for ACD's lol
Outlaw, the Flatline is a nice unit, but my last three bought have been Hollands. It costs a lot less, works just as well, more compact, and you don't have to remember to flip it open in the heat of the moment.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt