Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Another scope question- Nikon-Zeiss-?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 AM
Silver Member

Another scope question- Nikon-Zeiss-?

Hello

Well the barrel and action went off the the smith for fitting- Hart barrel, rem 700 action, chambered for a 300 win mag.

Now looking to find some glass for it, I have some time but also have some money burning a hole in my pocket.

Rifle is going to be my main hunting rifle, shots mainly to 400 but want to start shooting out to 600 and change, longer if I can find a longer range.

Money is a bit of a option but my solely- could also save up with some more waiting. Really just want something to start working with dialing in for elevation,,,,,,,,,,,,,but the zeiss rapid z has caught my interest as well

Another big thing is minum magnafication, was looking at 3-4, I live in AK and always at least plan for the brown flash at close range (never happened yet, hopefully never) But had a finishing shot on a blackie at 10 feet this year so..

I was looking at the 3-12 nikon monarch, and the leupold 4.5X14's and the zeiss 4.5X14's

Not sure about the 4.5 though, plan to test a bit with a scope turned up but think its going to be a bit too much

Any others I should look at? Nikon seems to be the only one in that range, but the zeiss with the rapid z looks pretty interesting, though it seems like a bit of a crap shoot if your ballistics match up to the reticle? But its a SFP so it shoulf keep the crosshair size down.

Just looking for something that has a reputation for being repeatable, and optically sound

Thoughts, kind of a scattered post, but wanted to get some opinions

Thanks
Old 09-29-2009, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Another scope question- Nikon-Zeiss-?

Your requirement of the low power for the close encounters throws a bit of a kink in things. My close encounters, both actual and expected, aren't by things that eatcha. Except for the occasional grizzly. However, for my definition of close and the country I hunt it gives me a comfortability range of 4.5 to 6.5

Go to this thread and scroll down (slowly) till you get to the Zeiss discussion. I'm thinking seriously of changed the reticle on my Zeiss 6.5-20 from the duplex to the Z-plex.

Also from carrying around a 4.5-14 Weaver Tactical on a 338 RUM, I feel comfortable to be able to get a quick accurate shot up close, as in feet, if necessary. The 14x is plenty for long range shooting also.

I'm bettin' that after your testing you'll jump on the Zeiss. Check the sponsors here for a decent deal.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Gold Member

I have a Zeis 4.5x14 rapid z-800 on my remington sendero - 300 win mag. The lines do not match up exactly with the yardage - this is not a problem - you can go to the Zeis website and use their ballistiic calculator. This will get you the yardages that the crosshairs will be on. Go to the range - start shootin and make a drop chart.
The optics are excellent - I like it better than my leupolds.
Give the customer service folks at Zeis a call - they are great to talk to

Last edited by MN Hunter; 09-29-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Bronze Member

The optics are excellent - I like it better than my leupolds.

imo alot better than my leupolds.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys

Changed my thinking a little,, I have come to the conclusion that 4.5 is just going to be too much for me. I'm just thinking back to a earlier moose hunt and really, on that trip a 100 yard shot would have been very far for the cover, and much, much closer could have been a possibility.

But then again, the sheep hunt, would have been nice with 14X

But for my primary weapon I'm thinking of going with the 3.5X10X44 zeiss, gets a bit more than the 9. I'm thinking this combo will still work out to 600.

Going with the zeiss for quality and shopping around you are not actually paying too much more than the nikon, untill you start talking about the rapid z!

Am I correct in thinking the z plex is going to be a FFP and if I go with the rapid z than I'm talking SFP? You do pay quite a bit more for that reticle, I'm just debating between the 2, and if its worht the extra cost.

Anyone with experience with the rapid z,,,,in terms of accuracy and effect of the SFP, or the zeiss optics for repeatability of turret changes,, returning to zero, etc.

Thanks guys, appreciate it!
Old 09-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

I have never used one, so cant attest for their optical quality... But maybe you should look at a Bushnell 6500.... You can get a 2.5-16x50, which should cover everything you want to do with it in terms of magnification...
Old 09-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

The rapid z 800 is worth the extra money. No need to dial in out to 800 yards - plus or minus depending on what the ballistic calculator and range work show you.
I believe Zeis has a rebate going on - also call optic zone for pricing.
My buddy has the bushnell - the zeis is hands down better. Find somebody locally and go look at both.