Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Another leupold boone and crockett question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Another leupold boone and crockett question

Buy exbal and use the reticle tool they have builtin.

IF you have accurate MV and BC, it will give you accurate POI for each mark/crosshair at any power you select.

BH
Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

I think he's right on not using the 100 as a tool. If there is any canting you will not be able to get a consistent measure.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscoyote View Post
Dan, look at the column on the far right--it gives the windage subtensions of all the lines.
Ahh yes... Dont know how I missed that. Ray charles could have seen it. thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Dan,

Not sure but this might help you in what you're trying to achieve ... if you have a droid phone, you can download the Strelok for free. I haven't had a chance to play with it much or confirm beyond 300 yards but I was within 1.0-1.5" off at 300 yards.

Here's what I have for my .300 Win Mag, 200 gr NAB at 2950 FPS zeroed at 100 yards, 59 degrees, 5K elevation, 10 MPH wind ...

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Looking at the windage subtensions of the B&C reticle you may as well just calc. a system for 2 and 3 MOA respectively since the actual subtensions are close enough to those values that the error will be insignificant for practical field applications.

Unfortunately the subtensions aren't wide enough to use at extended distances probably, although u could get a rough interpolation by applying the entire windage line at 4 and 6 MOA respectively. I've done this myself as long as there's a reference point in the background of the FOV to go off of. It can work though it's definitely an improvisation of sorts.

The Varmint Hunters reticle is much better for this since they put 6 1.77 MOA units right along the horizontal axis, and works great for this app.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscoyote View Post
Looking at the windage subtensions of the B&C reticle you may as well just calc. a system for 2 and 3 MOA respectively since the actual subtensions are close enough to those values that the error will be insignificant for practical field applications.

Unfortunately the subtensions aren't wide enough to use at extended distances probably, although u could get a rough interpolation by applying the entire windage line at 4 and 6 MOA respectively. I've done this myself as long as there's a reference point in the background of the FOV to go off of. It can work though it's definitely an improvisation of sorts.

The Varmint Hunters reticle is much better for this since they put 6 1.77 MOA units right along the horizontal axis, and works great for this app.
Yeah believe me I know its improvising. I do have the whole reticle mapped out for my load and it works well as someone already said for what it was designed to do... I thought I might just take it a little further and use the second cross hair only for all dialed shots. That in turn would give me a hold for up to two minutes on all dialed shots. Then in turn if I was walkin through trees or found myself in a situation where I needed to get off a quick shot my first cross hair would be zeroed at 180. Like I said I know 2 moa aint alot of hold but shooter says I should be able to get out to around 700 in a full value 5-7 mph 90 wind. Any more than that and ill just dial windage and hold right on like ive been doin. I just thought for huntin purposes I could dial elevation and hold wind on one cross hair out to around 700 if it aint blowin too hard.

Ill give it a go and test it out on some rocks and such and just keep waitin for the day I can get into a NXS.
Thank you very much for your link thats what I was lookin for...
And thanks to everyone else for the replies Dan
Old 12-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

Well after some more brainstorming...... Maybe I will try to set it up to use the cross hairs as they were designed out to 520 which is the third cross hair. Then mark and etch my turret so that all dialed shots will be shot off the third cross hair that will give me up to 3 moa to hold for all dialed shots past 520. hmmm gonna have to play with this idea a little.... Roy called my condition tinkeritis

That would give me marked yardage out to 1060 when I etch my turret... I like the sound of that Dan