Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Another leupold boone and crockett question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Silver Member

Another leupold boone and crockett question

Hello all,

I ran a quick search and have found several threads in regards to the moa distance between the elevation holds........Im good here ....what im lookin for is a measured moa hold for windage.

All I can find is that they are 10 mph holds. So I would assume the second cross hair is 2 moa and the third is 3 moa.......not sure if this is correct. Rangetime seems hard to come by now days as my son is 18 months and keeps us busy...haha.

My plan is to shoot at 100 yards the next time I get to the range and measure the hold......center of group to poa and will call this the actual moa hold for the second and third cross hair.

Step two of my plan is to set my second cross hair zero to 300 yards and that will give me a "two moa" wind hold for all dialed elevation adjustments. All dialed shots will be shot off second cross hair.

With the moa spacing from first to second being 2.19 shooter says my first cross hair should be then be zeroed for 180

So my question is has any one set there rig up this way and do you have an actual moa wind hold value for first and second xross hair. Or will this not work for any reason.... Thanks in advance

Max plinkin at rocks and such will be 1200 yards........max hunting distance out to about the same as my confidence grows.......caliber is 300 ultra. Scope is 4.5-14x40 long range with of course the bandc reticle
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Silver Member

Re: Another leupold boone and crockett question

Oops and forgot to add that I recently just confirmed that I know the holds will only be accurate on 14 power or the large triangle....... Thank you Outlaw 6.0. I have shot and validated comeups out to 1175 but would prefer to hold for wind..... Realisticly for me if its blowin more than 10 I dont have the confidence in my setup to pull the trigger on a game animal out past around 4-5 just to see if I hit it. My longest poke was just over 600 on a cow and I got her but was pure luck (a hail mary if you will). I wanna know im gonna hit it. So rocks look out...im comin for ya haha.

Ive thought about selling my AR to get into a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 with MOAR or NPR but now that obama is back in I think I better hold onto it awhile and see what happens. Dan
Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

Dang... Nobody.....I hear cricketts in this post. Maybe ill just stick to dialing elevation and wind and using the first cross hair for everything. Dan
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Gold Member

Call or email leupold tech dept- they are very helpful. I would feel more comfortable getting info right from the horses mouth rather than from some less informed source.
I had one of the original scopes you have when they first came out. In the heat of the battle I kept getting paralysis by analysis. I leave nothing to chance anymore - dial everything. If that takes too long - so be it - I look for another one.
Not knocking the scope or reticle - it does what it was designed to do. I just couldn't do the part on my end EVERY time.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Dan, here's a link to the subtensions of the BAS reticles--

http://www.leupold.com/wp-content/up...y12.pdf?9d7bd4

Don't do the shoot at 100-yd. deal and try and match your trajectory to the reticle. The only way to know what's going on downrange is to shoot at those distances. Shooting @ 100 doesn't tell you anything in this regard.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscoyote View Post
Dan, here's a link to the subtensions of the BAS reticles--

http://www.leupold.com/wp-content/up...y12.pdf?9d7bd4

Don't do the shoot at 100-yd. deal and try and match your trajectory to the reticle. The only way to know what's going on downrange is to shoot at those distances. Shooting @ 100 doesn't tell you anything in this regard.
Thanks..... But im not trying to match my trajectery to the reticle.... What im trying do do is see if can use the reticle a little differently. I will zero my second cross hair for 300 yards and all dialed shots will be shot off that cross hair. My thinking was I could measure that wind hold at at 100 in moa, then that way all my dialed shots would have at least a 2 moa hold if I needed it.trying to eliminate dialing for wind. Now I realize that two moa of wind is not alot and ill still have to dial some if its blowin more than say 5-7 mph but figured if this works I could ge some good practice dialing elevation and holding some wind out to 6,7,800 yards or so....

Example if the hold measures 2 inches at 100 I could assume this is a two moa hold then shoot at say 600 and measure the same hold and it should be around 12 inches... This will allow me to hold for up to 2 moa of wind on all dialed shots...... Does that make sense..... Im not sure if it will work or not thats why I was wondering if anybody had an actual moa measurement for the wind holds. All it saus in your link is 10 mph drift.....

Perhaps I will give Leupold a call and see what they say.... Ultimately I want to get into an Nightforce like I said but was just trying to make what I got work for a little longer til I can afford one. And also to get in some more practice.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Dan, look at the column on the far right--it gives the windage subtensions of all the lines.