Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Angled versus Straight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2004, 04:53 AM

Angled versus Straight

Could anyone tell me the pros and cons of angled versus straight eyepeices. Spotter will be used 40% at rifle range, 25% varmit hunting, 25% on truck window, 10% peeking at neighbors(lol). Thanks in advance for all replies.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:52 PM

Re: Angled versus Straight

I personally find a straight eye piece easier to aquire a target with. Most of them have a rough aiming sight down the side so finding the target is a lot easier. Angled eyepieces are ok on the range but in the field....straight wins every time.
Ed
Old 06-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I agree with Ed, angled is great at the range but in the field straight wins. It also allows a hunter to keep himself lower to the ground as well as help him aquire objects easier.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:08 PM

Edmac....meichele...thanks for the replies...since i will be using it most at the bench...I think angled would be my choice.....but straight would get by with both bench and field [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

O/G, if you're gonna use the scope while position shooting (standing, kneeling, sitting, or prone), then you'll be able to use an angled scope much more comfortably than a straight scope while maintaining your position.

Otherwise, the straight scope is very practical for field and bench purposes, and certainly points to the target more naturally.