Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Angled or Straight Spotting scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Angled or Straight Spotting scope?

I am seriously looking at a new spotting scope. My sights are on the new Zeiss Victory FL 15-56x65. The two options with this scope are the straight body or the angle eye piece body.

This is the scope I am going with but my question is:

The straight or the angled eye piece scope? what are the advantages of each? disadvantages?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Angled or Straight Spotting scope?

I prefer the angled spotter for the field and the bench. Just more confortable to use IME
Old 10-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

Straight might be a bit easier to get on target. But I now have an angled and it rotates side to side. This allows for easy viewing from the window mount or setting above it on a hill side glassing. Also like already mentioned it is friendlt on the bench too.

I am completely happy with my angles and use it almost daily.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Bronze Member

I've tried and used both and prefer the straight. The angled is just awkward to get on target, for me. It would be nice to have for window mounting, but I just feel way more at ease with the straight model.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:12 PM

I have to give the straight the vote. I have used both and after hours of glassing for elk and deer my neck is hurting after using the angled. I dont think your neck muscles are designed to be bent over for that long of time. If you are using it on a bench for targets I think it could be great but for hours of spotting the straight is the best for me. It is also alot easier to get on target in a hurry.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWrangler View Post
I have to give the straight the vote. I have used both and after hours of glassing for elk and deer my neck is hurting after using the angled. I dont think your neck muscles are designed to be bent over for that long of time. If you are using it on a bench for targets I think it could be great but for hours of spotting the straight is the best for me. It is also alot easier to get on target in a hurry.

Why rotate the eye piece upward and look down? The beauty of the angled is the ability to rotate the spotter to the most comfortable position for viewing
Old 10-10-2010, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
Why rotate the eye piece upward and look down? The beauty of the angled is the ability to rotate the spotter to the most comfortable position for viewing
Agreed, but I prefer the straight lens because it is quicker to orient to the target.

BTW, a friend and I have identical Leica 77 spotters, both with 10-60x power. Only difference is mine is straight, his is angled. We have compared them side by side and we both agree, mine is a tiny bit more clear than his at 500M.