Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

angle cosine or angle degree

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Part of my question also should have been which is going to be more accurate, cosine or degrees ?
Really the same -- at least with the Sniper Tools version, both versions are numbered in about 5-degree increments (cosine in cosine values though, obviously) -- so having a cosine out to more decimal places isn't going to be any more accurate. Calculating the cosine from degrees gives a more "precise" number in terms of having lots of numbers after the decimal point, but it's not any more "accurate" due to the measuring limitations of the device.

Not to worry though, it's still has plenty of "resolution" for our needs. If you started to try to be accurate down to the degree or sub-degree, you'd have start worrying about things like where your reticle is dialed when you site the target to take the angle. Fortunately, in the 1000 yard neighborhood, we're only talking an inch or two of difference per five degrees for the cartridges most of us are shooting -- so being super precise with the measurement isn't all that vital.

Anyway, it really does just come down to which is more convenient for you personally to work with.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

I only use degress.
You can use an extra scope ring to mount the ACI to your scope. Just find one that clears the top of the action.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

I prefer the cosine model myself, which saves a math step (or two brain cells, LOL) in the field, where my ACI is actually utilized. As posted above, one can always treat the cosine increments as 5o angle increments if needed and still be close enough.

For about $16, USTactical markets a scope ring mount that eliminates the need for an M-1913/Picatinny rail to use with Badger's versions of the mount bracket:
ACI Scope Tube Mount

ETA: Meant to mention that "W" (Ward Brien of SniperTools) is allowing a group buy discount on his MilSpec ACIs over at Sniper's Hide until 6-30-08:
Angle cosine indicator - Sniper's Hide Forums

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Last edited by eshell; 06-26-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: brain fart
Old 06-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Best price I've seen so far with Pic mount is:

Badger Ordnance/Snipertools Angle Cosign Indicator w/Gen 2 Mount [306-73A] - $149.95 : Long Range Supply!, Precision optics & more

Nightforce Angle Degree Indicator with Mount - ADIMT [NFADIMT] - $149.95 : Long Range Supply!, Precision optics & more

Anybody seen a better price?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Very good prices for the setups, jmden. I like the NF mount, due to not requiring removal of the scope from the rail to install.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.