Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

angle cosine or angle degree

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

angle cosine or angle degree

Angle cosine or angle degree indicator , which is easier to use ? Also, do they require a picatinny rail ? At present I have the one peice Talley base and rings for my Rem 700 STW, so how would I mount an angle indicator ?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

If you don't want it mounted or you want to go the cheap way just use a protractor with a string and a weight at the end(such as a pen or pencil) or Google "slope doper". These are cheap alternatives that work.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Check the ballistic software that you normally run and see which it asks for. The version of Exbal that I use ask for the Incline Angle in degrees. Others will know better than I but I think if you use a drop chart and just do the math for the angle the Cosine would be a better choice. Do a search. There was a thread that really got into this just a while back.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 06-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

This unit gives you BOTH

Horus Vision : System 5
Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 06-16-2008, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

I'd vote "cosine" units on the device --

You can use software or prepare you charts to handle the cosine value with little to no extra effort...

HOWEVER, if you ever find yourself without your Pocket PC/charts/calculator and have to do the math "by hand" in the field, simply multiplying by the cosine value supplied by your angle measuring device is a helluva lot easier than multiplying by the square root of (1 - sinē X), where X is the angle in degrees read from your device At least for me anyway...

I guess you could commit cosine tables to memory -- but who has braincells for that?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

Part of my question also should have been which is going to be more accurate, cosine or degrees ?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Angle cosine or angle degree indicator , which is easier to use ?
They're both easy to use, just go with what you like beter. Right now I have the cosine, my next buy will be the one in degrees.
Also, do they require a picatinny rail ?
Depends on where you want to mount them, they can either be mounted on the scope or the pecatinny base. If you get the one the already comes with the mounting device for the price, then you just mount it where you're suppose to. I have been advices not to mount them on the scope if you're using a 1" tube. Is not believed to be strong enough.
At present I have the one peice Talley base and rings for my Rem 700 STW, so how would I mount an angle indicator ?
The mounting is easy, don't worry about that, the instructions that come with the unit will have pictures and explain how to mount it.
I hope this helps. A good advice from former post is for you to make sure that the ballistic program you plan on using will handle your choice of angle reading. My version of Exbal does both on my pocket pc and LoadBase 2.0 from Patagonia Ballistic does also both.
Good luck!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!