Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Allen Mag Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Gold Member
Allen Mag Scope

I am having Kirby build me a 7mm AM very similar to SS7MM's rifle. I have been researching and looking around trying to decide which scope to use. I am pretty sure that I am going to go with the Nightforce, but haven't settled on it completely. I will be using this rifle for hunting and also rockbusting, varmits, etc.... The main purpose will be for big game though. I have narrowed it down to either the 3.5-15x50 or the 5.5-22x50 if I go with a NF. For reticles, either the MLR, NP-R2, or the NP-R1.

Does anyone have any pros/cons or like one reticle over another and why. I have never owned a scope like this, I have always used fine duplex Lupy's. Just trying to make a more informative decision.

Unread 08-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Allen Mag Scope

Simply put! go with the 5.5x22x50mm NXS. I own three of these scopes and they are an amazing piece of equipment. By far the best scope I have owned and used. They, in my opinion, spank the Leupolds in every department. Don't get me wrong, Leupolds are great scopes, they just don't compare to the Nightforce scopes. If your having a quality rifle built by Kirby, you should definently go with the Nightforce scopes. Good Luck, Wildcat
Unread 08-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

I went with the Nightforce 5.5-22x56 and love it. If I had it to over again I'd go with the same scope. The objective size is up to you and this is a personal thing with some people. I've got a couple of Nightforces and a few Leupolds and side by side comparisons easily always end up in favor of the Nightforce.

You're going to have a first class rifle so don't hamper yourself with anything less than the best optics. You'll be glad you did after you start shooting it and the superb optics come into play. I routinely find that I can easily use less magnification with the Nightforce than with one of the Leupolds and precise aiming, with an expanded field of view, makes spotting shots easy. However, when you want to reach out and touch something in the next county, the 22x works super.

I went with the NP-R2 reticle and love it. It makes quick adjustments, especially windage, easy and fast to do in the field. Clicks are spot on and repeatable time after time. It doesn't get any better than that.

Whatever you decide on, give Bill Bailey or Lerch a call and they can fix you up with the scope you want at a great price.
Unread 08-17-2006, 09:19 PM

Another vote for NF, and believe it or not, it's not just b/c I sell them [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Talk to Kirby about it. He might be able to hook you up as well [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Unread 08-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

On a hunting rig I like the 3.5x15 because the reticle is calibrated at this power. Unless I am in thick cover or forest the scope is always at 15. What do you shoot more of? Of course you can always turn the power down on the NP-R1 22x and have two minute spacing at 11 power.

For long range targets the size of varmints I love more power than 15, better get a 3.5-15 and an 8-32.
Unread 08-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would agree with everything said, top of my list is the NF NXS. Can not add anything there. With a rifle like the one we are putting togehter for you, weight is not a real consideration so this may not be of any importance to you but for those rifles and hunters that want to keep weight down on their rifles, I personally prefer a Leu Mk4 3.5-10 or 4.5-15.

I have the 3.5-10x 40mm FFP scope and REALLY like it but this is really a big game only scope. The nice thing is the scope is calibrated at all power setting because it stays consistant with the target over all power ranges.

Again, if weight is of no concern go with the NXS. If it is, the Leupold Mk4 are a great option.

I am not saying they are the equal of the NXS because they are not but they are very good and you will not be wanting for more some in most big game hunting situations.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page:
Unread 08-24-2006, 11:39 PM

Talk to Kirby about it. He might be able to hook you up as well [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget Dan Lilja

The 50 BMG community has obliterated many scopes - the only thing they agree on is NF is the best 50 BMG scope.