Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Advice on this scope......keep it or ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2005, 08:51 PM

Advice on this scope......keep it or ????

Long time ago, when they first came on the market, I bought a Sendero in 300 win mag and topped it with a Leupold Vari X III 4.5X14X50 AO.......now that I'm learning more about shooting longer range......I realize that the scope is probably not the best tool for the job.......so......should I sell this one and buy something else......or.....should I send it back for target turret installation...... or......something else???

If you say sell it......what, specifically, would you replace it with???
Old 12-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Advice on this scope......keep it or ????

Put it on eBay if you decide to let it go. Those folks are totally nuts about Leupolds and they'll bid it to a handsome price, I feel sure. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dan
Old 12-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
If you say sell it......what, specifically, would you replace it with???

[/ QUOTE ]

This

And the appropriate sunshade.

Or have the turrets replaced and a fine duplex reticle or a mildot reticle installed if it dosen't already have one. The leo is a fine scope.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:17 PM

4ked horn

Been looking at those.......hope to get to actually handle one next week. Are they really that good???
Old 12-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

We just got one for my bro for Christmas. The scope seems well designed all around. Great eye relief at all powers, easy to read turrets, fast focus on (padded) ocular ring, good clear glass, and a flawless finish. We bought it through those friendly folks at the optic zone for $30 less than any other source. It is mounted on a Rem 700 in .338 win mag that will be used on LR deer and elk next year.

We haven't shot it yet but we will let everyone know how it holds up, good or bad.

We decided to buy it based on the other positive reviews given by folks here and a quick trip to the local store to look at one in the flesh.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

GonHuntin,

Regarding the 4.5-14 Nikon Buckmaster mildot:

I have recently recieved two (one for myself and one I recommended for a friend).

For the money, they are very nice scopes. I haven't put either through their paces like some on this board have (Re: Jerry Teo) but it certainly has held up to my expectations. Its the first scope I've ever used with any type of holdover recticle, and having used it, I don't think that I would want to go back to a scope without it for big game hunting out to ~ 600 yards.

That said, I have a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40 LR and for my money, it has superior glass. Not dramatically superior, but still looks better to me. If I were you I would price a recticle change, would also consider what you might net if you sold your scope and bought a Buckmaster.

4ked horn,

If you have one, is there any chance you could post a pic of the buckmaster with a sunshade? Like to see how it looks with the rounded scope body.

Thanks,
Carl
Old 12-30-2005, 09:46 PM

The BIG question......is there any way to hide or remove any hint of the Buckmaster logo (I can't stand that show or Jackie Bushman!)?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If I have to see Buckmaster everytime I use it.......well, I'd rather use a cardboard tube with a black thread reticle!!!