Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Advice on scope bases....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2002, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

Re: Advice on scope bases....

..This was one of many things that drove me to custom actions.. One was a Remington that was so far outta whack that I had to shim the rear of the base to get on paper @ 100 yards.!! Hehehe.. By the time I got thru compensating for factory tolerances I would have came out better with a custom.!!
.. Make little witness marks on the dovetail top and scopes can be exchanged readily with reliable RTZ.. Stiller makes his rings with 20MOA built in.. I'm gonna have to see if he'll do any more than that as I "step on out there".. JiNC d:^)
Old 12-09-2002, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: Advice on scope bases....

I believe I'll go with the Warne rings. They are very similar to the Talley rings I use on my old 375. The Burris rings sound good, but I have a couple of reservations:

1. As the inserts act as a gasket, would they not need to be replaced any time the scope was removed for proper fit and compression?

2. How would the synthetic inserts hold up during the extreme temperature variations of Wyoming? Perhaps they would require re-tightening periodically.

Chris, Thanks for the contact info on the rail. I'll give this gentleman a call on Monday and talk with him.

The stock on this rifle is the McMillan I got from you. I changed the recoil pad and increased the LOP by .5". I changed the pad-shoulder angle a bit also to aid shooting from the prone. An elevator cheek pad got my eyeball a little higher and the set-up seems quite comfortable now for my anatomy.

When this thing is finished, I'll get a picture posted.

Thanks.

~Holmes