Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Advice on New Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Gold Member

Advice on New Scope

I hope I can explain. All of my scopes have either the Nikon BDC reticle or Leupold BC reticle. When you change your magnification on the scope it changes your point of impact. So are my scopes First FP or Second FP. I am looking to purchase a new scope for my 300. Want to stay under $ 1,400.00. Is there a scope with the reticle similar to either the BDC or BC that is the same point of impact wherever your magnification is set to? Just tired of the cheat sheet pending what power the scope is on. Thanks for your input. You guys are a great source of knowledge and greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Advice on New Scope

If you want POI to remain the same throughout the power range the scope needs to be a FFP.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 05-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

Kcebcj, Thank you. Appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

Is there any other scope under the $ 1,400.00 with FFP besides Vortex? Not that I will not look into buying a Vortex, just weighing my options. Any of you guys have any experience with the Vortex line of scopes.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

MHO, Just so I understand what you are saying...... Neither the Nikon or Leupold should change POI when you change the power, IF your are talking about the main cross-hair. In order to use the BDC or BC ballistic aimpoints, you need to be on the highest power. This holds true for all for all 2nd plane scopes. If you want the ranging subtentions to remain constant on all power settings, then you need a 1st focal plane scope. Another FFP scope for your consideration is the Weaver Tactical Line, very nice scopes.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 05-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

Mt4X,
Yes all Nikon and Leu are second FP. So they do change the point of impact when changing the magnification. Am I wrong on this?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

MHO, No you are not wrong. They are second focal plane. The point of impact does not change with the magnification however. Now before you get confused, the point of impact I'm referring to is where the gun shoots when zeroed with the center cross-hair. Only the little circles on the BDC and the small hashes on the BC are affected by the magnification.

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS