Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Advice on a mid-priced spotting scope.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Advice on a mid-priced spotting scope.

I need a nice spotting scope. I'll have to sell one of my air rifles but that will give me about $500 to spend. I'm scoping my rifle with either a used Kahles 3-9 or a Vortex Viper 2.5-10, PST.

It'll be used for everything from spotting holes at the range (100 yards), to glassing cut overs for deer, to some long range work (I plan to shoot a 1000 yard match this next year and hopefully take some training as well).

I've found two thus far that look promising. One is the Vortex HD 15-45x65. It's just above my price range. The 20-60x80 HD is out of my range new but if it's considered to be that much better, I would hold for a used one.

Also, the Kowa non-prominar, used. Will the Viper HD compare to the non-prominar Kowa?

Any others I should consider? Recommendations? The only spotter I've used to date was a Burris 15-45 Landmark and haven't been impressed.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 12-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Advice on a mid-priced spotting scope.

I have a vortex nomad 20x60x60. I really like it! For the money it was worth it!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 12-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Bronze Member

I bought a vortex probably five years ago before they had hd and it has easily been the best buy I have ever made in optics. I have friends who have paid 2 to 4 times as much and would happily trade for mine.
I think mine is a 20-60x80.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

I know people who have the larger spotting scopes and they say they are great for shooting but when they go hunting they seem to get left in the truck because they are so heavy. So I would establish what your use for the spotter is going to be. The 60mm seem to be a good balance. I backpack hunt so Im going down to a leupold gold ring 15-30, I hear good things about it.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroducksx3 View Post
I know people who have the larger spotting scopes and they say they are great for shooting but when they go hunting they seem to get left in the truck because they are so heavy. So I would establish what your use for the spotter is going to be. The 60mm seem to be a good balance. I backpack hunt so Im going down to a leupold gold ring 15-30, I hear good things about it.
Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing. I'll be using this scope at are local 100 yard range a lot, developing loads, etc.

Next most frequent use will be in an elevated shooting house overlooking a cut over that we hunt.

And once, maybe twice a year, it'll go down to shoot a long range match at 800, 900 and 1000 yards.

I've discovered this scope>

And here is the reticle>

Comes in 10x50 and 15x50, which is fine for my hunting needs and the 15x will allow me to see .22 caliber hole at 100 yards. But it also has the option of a 2x Doubler. I contacted the fine folks at Vortex today and the guy gave it a try and said it works "surprisingly well" (his words). Normally I wouldn't take a lot of stock in what someone from a company tells me but I've dealt with Vortex on several occasions and they are straight shooters. I may give this one a try.

Paul
Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroducksx3 View Post
+1 I have a fixed 25X Leupold Gold Ring compact spotting scope and really like it. If I bought one today though, I would opt for the 15-30x50mm Leupold Compact scope. It really is a nice scope. I like Leupold and they have great warranty and are made here in the USA. At least the Gold Ring stuff is.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Bronze Member

There is no way I would consider taking my 20-60x80 backpacking. It is very nice to use close to the truck though.