Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

advice on double duty scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 04:23 AM
Silver Member

advice on double duty scope

im looking to spend at or under $1k on my first "nice" scope. its going on a 700 sps-v in .308 that will be my go to gun for spot n stalk whitetail, pigs and varmints. i will also use it for banging steel or milk jugs from however far away i can get on my property, i would love to try and shoot 1k yds if i can find a spot.

i had been set on waiting for the viper pst 4-16x50 ffp mil/mils to come back out, but then i got to looking at IOR's 2.5-10x42 ffp mil/mil. another $400, no parallax and less power, but a better quality scope overall and much better glass. i know 10x is probably enough for the hunting that i would do, but i feel like id prefer more power for target shooting.

i would really prefer a ffp scope, but mil/mil is an absolute must for me. do any of the zeiss conquest scopes come ffp and/or mil/mil? these seem to be in my budget, but im not sure how practical that z1000 reticle would be for me. i dont really like their mil dot either, seems like it would cover up too much target at long range. i much prefer hash like in IOR's mp8 reticle.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:46 AM
Silver Member

Re: advice on double duty scope

and does anyone know if i can get any of the zeiss conquest scopes in ffp mil/mil?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
im looking to spend at or under $1k on my first "nice" scope. its going on a 700 sps-v in .308 that will be my go to gun for spot n stalk whitetail, pigs and varmints. i will also use it for banging steel or milk jugs from however far away i can get on my property, i would love to try and shoot 1k yds if i can find a spot.

i had been set on waiting for the viper pst 4-16x50 ffp mil/mils to come back out, but then i got to looking at IOR's 2.5-10x42 ffp mil/mil. another $400, no parallax and less power, but a better quality scope overall and much better glass. i know 10x is probably enough for the hunting that i would do, but i feel like id prefer more power for target shooting.

i would really prefer a ffp scope, but mil/mil is an absolute must for me. do any of the zeiss conquest scopes come ffp and/or mil/mil? these seem to be in my budget, but im not sure how practical that z1000 reticle would be for me. i dont really like their mil dot either, seems like it would cover up too much target at long range. i much prefer hash like in IOR's mp8 reticle.

Look at the Leupold 4.5x 14x 50 30mm tube VX3 or the Mark 4 . the power range is a good
compromise For close in shots and is more than enough for long shots.

Leupold has probably any combination you want . It's just a mater of how much you want to pay

I also like the side focus instead of the objective adjustments.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

ya just found their mk4 m5 er/t which are ffp mil/mil. might be just my ticket, just a little pricey for me right now.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

Check on Ebay lots of great deals on Leupolds new in box. Cant go wrong with 4.5 by 14.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post

Search around for used scopes. Otherwise...you might want to wait for that PST you have on order. My .308 innitially wore an IOR 6-24x with the mp-8 reticle ....Awesome glass, the best I've seen...but I had problems with the turrets in cold weather. Currently I have a NF NXS 5.5-22X by 56mm on it....seems to be the perfect blend of what you are talking about... deer hunting...but having the top end for targets. I used to own a VX-III 4.5-14X....it didn't have the top end performance for my long range shooting I do in Montana....JMHO. I have a Vortex Viper on an AR-15...and think, for the money, they are pretty awesome scopes.

Good Luck...More options for the U.S. shooters is a good thing!

Wayne
Old 11-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

What problems did you have with the turrets income weather?

I found a real good deal on a 3-18 IOR for sale on here. It's a gen IV, has that problem been fixed on those?

I'm just worried about buying a used scope. I could save a lot of money doing this but it also seems like a good way to really get screwed...