Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Advantages or disadvantage of a Sunshade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Advantages or disadvantage of a Sunshade?

Why should i use or not use a sunshade,....i cant tell much difference with or without it...thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Advantages or disadvantage of a Sunshade?

What length of shade? Have you played at various angles to the sun? I mostly use 4" shades as I find they are better suited to my needs. I usually find them most useful when the sun is forward of the shooter's position. If the sunlight can reach your objective lens from any angle, the shade is a very useful companion. The Caveat being, it makes it harder to fit your rifle in scabbards (horse or ATV). Sometimes it won't fit at all...

hope that helps,
Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

As you get older your eyes become more sensitive to glare. Think of glare as stray light which did not originate from the target. Even when the sun is not directly on the scope you will have stray light. Minimizing the stray light helps your eyes take advantage of the light that comes from the target.

You will notice that sometimes people talk about how "bright" their scope is. Often this is just a statement that there is a lot of white light which represents stray light and is caused by poor quality coatings and glass or the sun hitting the objective lenses.

Think of a sun shade as a bill cap for your scope. If you are wearing a hat to keep the sun out of your eyes then your scope should have its sunshade on too.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

Do you loose field of view or light gathering capabilities?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do you loose field of view or light gathering capabilities?
No, you don't lose anything.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I agree with Buffalobob. I've spent a lot of time assessing glare performance of scopes at the last few SHOT Shows. The ceiling lighting in the big halls is nearly ideal for this. I've noticed that glare performance tends to degrade as the magnification increases, it also tends to get worse at all magnifications as the mag range increases. That is, a 3-10X scope will have less glare at 10X than a 6.5-20X scope at 10X.

Extra engineering and cost to reduce glare is one of the things you pay for with very good optical scopes like Zeiss, Swarovski, etc. In the mid-price range, not all scopes are created equal, either.

While a long sunshade can limit field of view for a low mag scope, it won't for a high mag scope, which is where it's needed most. IMHO, If you can use a sunshade, then do so.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 04-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Bronze Member

A shunshade is a big help to keep the lens dry when hunting in the rain. Here in Oregon that seems happen quite a bit.