Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

absolute best scope???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: absolute best scope???

As you probably have figured, I shoot alot more at targets than I get a chance to at animals most of the year, so a small dot in the center of the reticle would be pretty nice to me. The crosshairs would still need to extend down to within .5 moa to help center thing in lower light situations when it's not quite dark enough to get good contrast with the lighted reticle yet.

I know you like the dot alot and this is perfectly understandable to not even need the tic marks on the reticle, as you click to the target with probably very few exceptions.

I like the tics for not only ranging, which you don't need, but the ability to hold over in a fast acting situation where dialing might just be the extra few seconds you might not have. With the numbers committed to memory, both dialing and hold over are a simple matter, one not much quicker than the other, but still quicker in a pinch.
In the event you assign each tic a point plank range distance with a given target size, which Exbal happens to calculate for you, one can be very, very fast if these numbers are commited to memmory.

The advantage to to having a .5 moa space between the dot and each vertical ond horizontal hair is one the 1000 yard competetor could use when shooting for score to hold off a calibrated amount quickly. The edge of the hair could be used to hold on the edge of a certain scoring ring or whatever, thus giving you more options in a windy condition.

Man I wished I lived in a place I could compete right now. Someday not too far off we'll get our 1000 yard range approved. They have a place all picked out about 10 miles just north of where I live, but the burough mayor will not approve the use of the land, so we'll have to wait until he is gotten rid of. The nearest property owner is over 5 damn miles away! He could not even hear the activity if it were there! The mayor just uses him as an excuse to blow us off, he will never go for it, so we have no choice but to wait. Meanwhile, at the last meeting out here, he suggested every other possibility to keep people from target shooting in high use areas on the river bar and in the woods...the guy doesn't get it. There just isn't but one range to shoot at this side of Anchorage, and it's over 25 miles away and almost there anyway. People will not go that far when they can go right here. Someday though!
Old 02-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Brent

Just for a suggestion after doing the 1000 yard match shooting for many years.

If you get a range up there and start to get serious about winning matches, Use a reticle that has a fine cross hair or target dot and either 1/8th or 1/4 Min clicks for fine adjustments. The R2 won't be very good for Match shooting. NF does make a real good reticule for Benchrest shooting and they recomend it highly for that purpose. It's the CH-3 or the NP-2DD.

Check them out.

You need to be able to concentrate on the center of that bull with little opticle restrictions.

Later
Old 02-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

I would get one when the 1000yd range came about for strictly competition, hope that happens soon too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

I was wondering if you "fat fingered" that one in there, thanks for the clarification. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I wasn't thinking of the total there either, duh. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Strictly compitition???

You may like those reticules so well, you may even want to hunt with it out at 1000 yards "plus." You may have to click to target/animal though [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Whatever trips a persons trigger.

Have a good one [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 02:54 AM

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 02-28-2003, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

I have not hunted all over the country like most of you guys have, being born and raised up here, but at least 50% of my shots on moose come in the early morning or late evening, the rest at around high noon. This is the main reason I like a thick crosshair, and even a lighted reticle "sometimes" helps.

The reason I can't count on a lighted crosshair but for maybe the last half hour or so, is that it just isn't dark enough to help until then, yet a fine crosshair, or dot reticle will still be blending in with too much and not be contrasted enough anymore, this is where the thicker crosshair works perfectly.

I keep the lighted reticle intensity very, very low so it doesn't come on real strong and distract my eye from the target or cause the pupil to contract, it is on just bright enough to take over when the thick crosshair starts to get concealed too much. For me, the lighted reticle is hardly ever used, but it will pay off some day I'm sure, if it's only once it will be worth it to me.

For me, the dot reticle alone would work perfect for target work, but you never know, I might like to use it hunting after getting comfortable with it around dark in the off-season, time will tell though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have never shot an animal yet, that I can remember anyway, by using holdover or a ballistic reticle such as the R2, I have either shot within range of my sight in, or dialed in the adjustment my chart called for. I actually find it pretty quick and simple to dial in the come ups and will continue to use it, especially at longer ranges. The R2 does make it real easy to range and see the come ups in the crosshair without ever taking your eye off the target though. I like the bullet impact to be as precise as possible whenever I break any shot, if I don't feel using the R2 would give me the precision in that instance, I'll dial it in, simple as that.

Take care, [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]