Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

absolute best scope???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2003, 12:14 AM
Gold Member

Re: absolute best scope???

Darryl,

Agreed. I just like sticking up for the SS10x42's from time to time [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Not *all* of them deserve the Tasco stigma.

FWIW, I am saving up towards another high-magnication higher-end/top-shelf scope. U.S. Optics is pretty much out of the question, and the Leupold LRTs I had got sold because they didn't agree w/ my eyes day after day, not because they weren't good scopes. The NF scopes seem to have what I'm looking for at the moment (high magnification) w/ relatively constant eye-relief), and have looked very nice the few that I've shot thru. But, then again, so do most scopes when I first look thru them [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

S1,

Since you seem to be the in-house NightForce proponent, here's a question for you (or anyone else who feels like answering):

For someone w/ a bit of budget constraints (i.e., non-taxpayer dollars here, and didn't win the lottery (not even the pull tabs) yestereday) what functional difference would a shooter see btwn the NXS series and the regular BR series? Both 30mm main tube, both 56mm objective, both lit reticle, same reticle choices I believe, etc. etc. etc. The NXS has the side focus w/ the nifty feature of the on/off/rheostat under the parallax turret, vs. a front adjustable objective. What I'm missing here is what is the difference btwn the two lines that makes the NXS's so much more $$$, and for *hunting*, are they worth it in your opinion?

Monte
Old 03-06-2003, 10:16 AM

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 03-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

(this is probably adding gas to the fire, but w/ the thread 5 pages and growing, what the heck ;P )

S1,

Soooo... if you are out to buy the best, and want something built hell-for-stout, as you put it, why not U.S. Optics?

By all accounts, you can always take off the scope (mounted in U.S. Optics mounts, of course) and bludgeon the sentry to death, and then remount it on your SWS w/o loss of zero, or if you'd rather, just beat a Leupold into shards, and then keep on shooting.

Not saying the above is true, or not, but perhaps you see the point... I think there is a point of diminishing returns for us 'ordinary' folk. Yeah, there's the nice saying about only a rich man can afford to buy (and keep buying) a cheap scope, but reality is that most people have a price ceiling. Yes, I know that my scope isn't the end-all-be-all of optical and mechanical perfection. Neither is my gun, nor my ammo. Very likely I'm not a good enough shooter to see a justifiable difference.

There's a fellow over on Sniper's Hide we ought to team you up w/... He's a die-hard U.S. Optics nut, and it'd be interesting to see the two of you go 'round [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] At least you don't add a big fat picture of a NightForce scope to every post (and don't go getting any ideas!)

So, seriously now, why is it that you worship at the shrine of NightForce vs. the altar of U.S. Optics? Inquiring minds want to know.

Monte
Old 03-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

[IMG]C:\My Documents\My Pictures\My Big Eyes1.JPG[/IMG] this is a test to see If I could show my big eyes
Old 03-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Ok It didn't work. To each his own. As far as optics go. I believe But then again I'm new to this.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

baldeagle

hehe, you have to post your pictures on the internet first then enter the URL. I sure wish it would work that way, it would make things a lot easier. I was using http://www.hunting-pictures.com but they seem to be down, at least they were last time I checked.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:55 PM

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]