Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

7mm rem mag scope! Please look. Buckmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Gold Member

7mm rem mag scope! Please look. Buckmaster

I own a 7mm rem mag in a rem 700 BDL and is topped with a cheap tasco at the moment. I am currently shooting 140. grain soft points and 160 grain accubonds. I can get real good groups with these bullets but the problem is after a long day of shooting the groups get worse. Now i thought i was me at first so i went home and went back to the range 2 days later and the groups just kept getting worse. I hate the scope on top of my rifle and i want to change it. Now i cant afford much at the moment so i looking for a good cheap scope. I came across a Nikon Buckmaster and the reviews for the scope is great, and the price is even better. I was looking at a 4.5x-14x with 40mm obj lens and side focus and can get either BDC, Mil dot or just plex reticle.

this scope will not be permanite. My 30-06 also need a replacement scope. I use my 7mm rem mag a lot more so i would like to start here. i would like to get the buckmaster for the 7mm and once i can afford a better scope i would switch the buckmaster over to the 06 and get a leupold or Zeiss for the 7mm. I looked around and my options were the Bushnell 3200, Burris Fullfield II and Nikon Buckmaster. Now the nikon has the best price and best reviews. what do you think?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm rem mag scope! Please look. Buckmaster

I like the Bushnell 3200 in that price range.I've got a couple of 3x9x50 with the firefly reticle that are darn good scopes,I picked those up for around $180.00 new.You might check Natchez Shooting Supplies,they have a scope sale going on now,check out Ebay too.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

I think your blameing the scope for your flinching and you may want to clean the barrel
If you have lost confidence in the scope any one of the units you mentioned will be an improvement. None of them will have a lot of ellivation travel but if you plan on useing a BDC or mil-dot they should be fine.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Gold Member

I know it isn't the flinching. I thought it was at first thats why i stopped for the day. I came back out 2 days later and started again my groups just kept getting worse over time. I sighted my gun in getting the groups i was looking for. few more times out to the range the scope was off again. I am almost positive it isn't my flinching but is the cheap tasco scope. Either way if its me or the scope i would like to replace it
Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Matt
I was being a smarta$$ but trying to help.
My point was if you think its the scope (your probably right!) then by all means update it but I would have a friend blind load it for you too....I know very few people who genuinly do not flinch shooting a 7mag class sporter rifle. I'm prone to flinching with mine and its about shot out from years of shooting. I had to put a better recoil pad and a scope with a lot of eye relief to be able to shoot it comfortably. That old Ruger needs to be cleaned often but fouled to shoot its best. I can not get thirty rounds through it before it needs cleaned (carbon ring and copper) and the first three shots out of a cleaned barrel can go anywhere they want.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

I have a Buckmasters 4.5-14x40. They are good scopes for the money. I just picked up a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 used but looks like brand new for the same price as the Buckmasters on ebay. They only have 40moa of internal travel but mine is installed with a 20 moa egw rail so it should get out there further. Plus the Nikons have a great warranty it looks like.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

You should check out Wonder Optics Wotac Tactical or their Hunter/Target models, 4-14 x50 30mm tube side parallex adjustment very positive .250 click adjustments and a 20 MOA reticle with 80 MOA internal adjustments and it comes with a sunshade all protected by a unlimited Lifetime warranty. Armalite Corp. has just picked them up for their rifles after they had been put through a thorough test ! All of this for $329.00 and they are assembled in Tulsa Oklahoma !
If you would like to know more you can contact me at:

Forrest Ebert
Western U.S, / International Sales
Wotac Scopes
Ebco2009@gmail.com