Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

40 mm or 50 mm scope for 7mmSTW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
My latest that I am having built as we speak is a 44mm with .17 MOA (this is where it subtends according to the mfg and was a prototype the first one I had built so we used parts already on hand -- now I like them to all be the same). This scope will be going on a long Range Elk rifle (338 Lapua Imp)that I am building next week at one of the NRA clases at Trinidad State.
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!

Unread 06-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Bronze Member
Originally Posted by Nvhunter View Post
JonA and Douge...

My Deer / Elk hunting tatics, as stated before, do not lend themselves to hiking, climbing or sometimes stumbling up or down a mountain side with a loaded rifle. I scout at least 4 times before season, base camp, then High camp. Out of the High camp I will travel light with a hip bag, rifle and skinning / bedoning knives and meat bags. It is normally a minimum 4 day hunt...after I reach the mountains. If you ever have the chance to hunt here in Nevada Take It! I had grown up hunting in East Texas and this is a completely different ballgame.

Thanks for the comments.
I sometimes forget that there is a different style of hunting in other parts of the country than I am accustomed. Here in Virginia everyone is required to wear blaze orange and it would be hard for me to inadvertantly point my rifle in the direction of a hunter without first knowing he is there since most of the hunting is done close range. I have sometimes slowly scanned cutovers for movement or the flick on an ear with my rifle scope and I can see how that might be considered somewhat dangerous.

However, in the mountains of Va I have fallen many times causing my rifle to scatter (once bending my scope) and feel fortunate that my safety held. It seems to me that scouting with a loaded rifle is much more dangerous than scanning with one but nevertheless is done all the time without much thought to it. Over the years most of the fatal accidents didn't involve one hunter shooting another. It almost always involves a hunter inadvertantly shooting himself or falling from a tree stand.

NVhunter......I think you are right. Maybe we can learn something very worthwhile in these forums other than technical stuff. Being diligent in the small things should take care of the big things. I will remember that.

PS......maybe I will get out to Nevada one day and check your state out.