Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

30mm Scope Rings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 30mm Scope Rings

Be sure you have a good cheek weld with what ever height you use so you are looking in the middle of your eye piece lens. If you notice that even though I have low rings I still had to raise the cheek piece up. - - - - - - - - - -

joseph
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
30mm Scope Rings-pst-2.jpg  
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Be sure you have a good cheek weld with what ever height you use so you are looking in the middle of your eye piece lens. If you notice that even though I have low rings I still had to raise the cheek piece up. - - - - - - - - - -

joseph
Thank you for the picture. It help me understand where the scope should be in comparison to the barrel
Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Depends on if you are runnin a 20 MOA rail also. If so, go with lows like Mk4's or Farrels.
Chris
Benchmark
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

If you are thinking of shooting much at longer ranges, I'd give the Burris Signature rings a look. They have plastic inserts that can add 10 or 20 MOA without using a rail and they come in 3 different heights. I always go as low as I can for better cheek weld.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineering101 View Post
If you are thinking of shooting much at longer ranges, I'd give the Burris Signature rings a look. They have plastic inserts that can add 10 or 20 MOA without using a rail and they come in 3 different heights. I always go as low as I can for better cheek weld.
Ok, so I did the math to determine the correct ring height and decided that I definitely want to with the 30mm Burris Signature Zee rings, High height.

My scope has a 61mm outer objective diameter. With a 0moa I will have exactly 5mm bell-barrel clearance. I want to set it up for LR so I have to oppose the .010 inserts to achieve a 20moa equivalent.

The question is will the scope objective deflect so much that I will have to use the XHigh rings?

Thanks,

Doc

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

DocB

You may have a problem with the -0.010/+0.010 inserts installed but if you are that close and find that the Highs don't quite work, I would not go up to the extra highs as they are just too high. The actual spacing from base to bottom of the scope tube for the three 30mm sizes that Burris offers in the Signature rings are:

Medium 0.18"
High 0.30"
Ex High 0.58"

As you can see they mean it when they say Ex High.

I use the Mediums with a 20 MOA rail and the Highs with normal bases like on a Savage. My scopes are big tactical styles with bells about 2.2 inches across (which is actually bigger than the 50 mm they say they are).
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Here are some pictures with high, medium and low 30mm rings:

High, Medium or Low scope rings? - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph