Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

300 wsm or 7mm mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 02:27 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 300 wsm or 7mm mag

Time to take out the paddles and jump start this thread from the grave. Only my second post here on this forum. What brought me to this forum was every time I looked up long range shooting, posts on this website came up. So it makes sense to me to ask the experts. Maybe there are some new thoughts on this topic, maybe the availability of ammo, or maybe bigger magazines to accommodate larger grain bullets on the wsm? I am by no means an expert, so looking for those that are to give their insight.

Looks like based on what I've read that if I planned on shooting 500 or less then a 300 wsm would be a good rifle (elk, deer, bear?) And if I wanted to touch out farther then a 7mm rm would be the go to rifle. I can't really afford more then one, but I would like it to be able to cover at least the bases I'm interested in, deer, elk, bear, antelope, coyotes, possible moose, but thinking that moose will not be long range, 100-200 yards I'm sure. Versatility with bullet grains seem to weight better with the wsm as I don't know about blowing a hole through medium sized game.

Another question I have would be recoil, seems like a 300 wsm is between a 30-06 and a 300wm? Lets say you had 180grain bullet, in your opinion or those that have shot...which has more recoil, 7mm rem mag or 300wsm?

Any insight would be helpful! Thanks in advance. Looking to hopefully make this decision soon...tax money is my friend till it gets spent on other things, cause I wait too long to make my decision.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentster7189 View Post
Time to take out the paddles and jump start this thread from the grave. Only my second post here on this forum. What brought me to this forum was every time I looked up long range shooting, posts on this website came up. So it makes sense to me to ask the experts. Maybe there are some new thoughts on this topic, maybe the availability of ammo, or maybe bigger magazines to accommodate larger grain bullets on the wsm? I am by no means an expert, so looking for those that are to give their insight.

Looks like based on what I've read that if I planned on shooting 500 or less then a 300 wsm would be a good rifle (elk, deer, bear?) And if I wanted to touch out farther then a 7mm rm would be the go to rifle. I can't really afford more then one, but I would like it to be able to cover at least the bases I'm interested in, deer, elk, bear, antelope, coyotes, possible moose, but thinking that moose will not be long range, 100-200 yards I'm sure. Versatility with bullet grains seem to weight better with the wsm as I don't know about blowing a hole through medium sized game.

Another question I have would be recoil, seems like a 300 wsm is between a 30-06 and a 300wm? Lets say you had 180grain bullet, in your opinion or those that have shot...which has more recoil, 7mm rem mag or 300wsm?

Any insight would be helpful! Thanks in advance. Looking to hopefully make this decision soon...tax money is my friend till it gets spent on other things, cause I wait too long to make my decision.
I have both and like both.

Ammo selection and price for ammo: If I did not reload, I would not have a 300wsm, the prices for most of the ammo is laughable.

Reloading: I slightly prefer reloading for my 300wsm vs my 7mm rem.

Ballistics vs recoil: I give the 7mm the edge.

Recoil: IMO both can be made to be manageable. A good recoil pad will make a big difference in felt recoil for either of them. With a good recoil pad (for instance limbsaver) on my 300wsm, I would compare the felt recoil to a 30'06 (if the '06 had an average recoil pad).

Ballistics: It depends more on the specific rifle (how fast the barrel is without pressure issues) and the bullet selection. There are some great 160 to 180 gr 7mm bullets out there (and yes, many others weights as well). Take a look at some of the 30 cal bullets from the 208 to 230 gr range.

Mag: I give the 7mm the edge. More mag capacity. Still, I can load up to 208 gr amax close to the lands with no mag length issues for my 300wsm (savage 16).

The debate between various cartridges could go on forever. The 300wsm and the 7rem are a couple of my favorites. In my experience they are similar enough to pose the question back to you, what do you want to use for a while? I don't know which one I would give up if I had to choose.

Oh, and regarding your comment on bullets blowing up.. Possible with either. You need to pick your combination of bullets, fps, and game to go well together.

Happy Hunting,

Pons
Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 PM

i have a rem 700 270 wsm. i also have 3 boxes hsm 130 berger vld ammo will those fit in my gun?
Old 03-01-2012, 02:21 PM

i have and have shot both many many times! both are really great! both have there advantages! but the better one i would have to say is diffinatly the 300 wsm! it is a tack driver! but they are really close to the same youll be hapy with both! good luck!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Gold Member

Both are excellent rounds. I like the 300 WSM just a hair more. A very small hair. You will be happy with either one.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

I have owned 3 300wsm, my latest being a mcwhorter. I love the round, recoil is not bad, about like my dads 3006 with a 180gr round. good recoil bad and your fine
Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 PM

yeah its an amazing calibar alot of people really dont like it i havent found out why yet?