Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

24x PST vs 22x NXS which is better?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Silver Member

24x PST vs 22x NXS which is better?

past 600 yards...it seems my PST gets cloudy past 600 yards...is that normal..or do all scopes act that way? Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: 24x PST vs 22x NXS which is better?

It isn't really fair to compare a PST and NXS in my opinion. The manufacturing of the NXS in terms or reliability, durability, and consistency of product are leaps above the PST. Better resolution, clarity, color and contrast in glass in the NXS. The zero stop in the Nightforce is a mechanical zero as opposed to the shim system that the PST works on.

While the PST is a great buy for the money, I don't think that it was developed to compete in that NXS price range, but offers a good alternative for people that can't fork out the cash on a Nightforce.

In my humble opinion the Nightforce is definitely a considerable upgrade.

Check these guys out, they usually have stuff in stock and they know their optics.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Gold Member

I agree. I own both the PST and NXS. You do see a difference in clarity. Especially at further distances. The PST is a great. The NXS is better. I have the PST (6-24 FFP) on a couple of hunting rigs, but the NXS does outshine it. But then again there's a big difference in price.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

Glass wise nightforce has never impressed me. We had a nightforce next to a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 last year long range shooting and the Zeiss glass was clearly better. 3 guys could clearly see the Zeiss had better glass and they were even nightforce fans. The PST glass to me is close to the conquest. I think the Nightforce is a incredible scope for war type combat situations but for hunting and regular shooting I'm not convinced it's the best choice.It is also extremely heavy which makes it a good idea to have rifles wearing a nightforce upgraded to 8-40 screws and the best mounts availble. The PST is a awesome value and will definitely go way up in price.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

best=nightforce

best bang for your buck=pst.

its kind of a lop sided comparision. the spf 24x pst runs 750 the spf nf 22x runs 1800
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

I have a 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope that I have shot in competition at 1,000 yards. I shot 3 five shot groups with my 6mm Norma BR. hunting rifle. I shot 15 rounds at 1,000 yds. and they all would have been in the boiler room of an antelope.

The scores & group sizes are in the lower right of the target. ------------------------

joseph

PS: I love this scope. The glass is plenty clear enough to shoot way past 1,000 yds.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
24x PST vs 22x NXS which is better?-1000-yd.-target.jpg  
Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highridge1 View Post
Glass wise nightforce has never impressed me. We had a nightforce next to a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 last year long range shooting and the Zeiss glass was clearly better. 3 guys could clearly see the Zeiss had better glass and they were even nightforce fans. The PST glass to me is close to the conquest. I think the Nightforce is a incredible scope for war type combat situations but for hunting and regular shooting I'm not convinced it's the best choice.It is also extremely heavy which makes it a good idea to have rifles wearing a nightforce upgraded to 8-40 screws and the best mounts availble. The PST is a awesome value and will definitely go way up in price.
This seems interesting to me because i have a PST (4-16) and a NF 5.5-22 and i hated the pst because the glass wasnt even close to as good as my NF. Scrapped the PST and now shooting a vx-3 4.5-14x50LR and am much happier with the glass quality and over all build.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"