Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

20X bino question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

20X bino question

Looking for the pros and cons of getting or not getting 20X binos. The thing that causes me a problem is I am right handed and left eye dominate. Looking thru a spotting scope for a long period time gives me a headache, even if I switch from one eye to the other. I am asking if a 20X bino is enough to judge quality animals out to 1000 yards? Thanks in advanced for any and all comments.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: 20X bino question

15 or 20's will do you well up to 1K for judging SO LONG as they are a "quality" set. Mount them on a tripod or you will be sorry. I use 10x42 (tripod mounted EL's for spotting game then use my spotting scope to judge quality.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

I had the same question you did on big Binos for long range shooting.I have been using 10x50 Swaros for a long time, and love them, but need more power for 1000yards.My buddies have 20x80 and 20x100 that are pretty low quality,and they did not show me much.After much ruminating, I sold some stuff and bought a pair of 15x56 Swaros.I have only had them about a month,but they are going to be the cats ass,I think!A big difference between 10 and 15 power.Some of the giant binos work better for fine detail work, But I can carry the 15x56.I was worried about light gathering,but they seem to work great even in twilight. Thanks, Dave.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I had the same question you did on big Binos for long range shooting.I have been using 10x50 Swaros for a long time, and love them, but need more power for 1000yards.My buddies have 20x80 and 20x100 that are pretty low quality,and they did not show me much.After much ruminating, I sold some stuff and bought a pair of 15x56 Swaros.I have only had them about a month,but they are going to be the cats ass,I think!A big difference between 10 and 15 power.Some of the giant binos work better for fine detail work, But I can carry the 15x56.I was worried about light gathering,but they seem to work great even in twilight. Thanks, Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I have a pair of the 15X56 Swarovskis that I recently aquired and they seem to be the cats ass. I see a great difference between 15 and 10 power.The 20 power binoculars that I have seen are just too big and heavy for packing
Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I agree that the 15x56 SLC's are about as good as it gets past 1000 yards. I dont own a pair of the 15's but use a set on occasion when coues hunting. I prefer them over my EL 10x42's past 1K. Under 1K and I'll stick w/my 10's. You will pick up more details at over 1K with the 15's.

Like I said, as long as they are a quality pair. The 15x56 SLC's are such a pair.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Writers Guild

big dollar high mag optics will do what you want. Heavy and bulky but will perform. Just be prepared to also haul a quality tripod.

Steiner and Minox may also be brands worth looking at.

I don't like using a spotting scope either for long term glassing. On a whim, I picked up a pair of 12X50 Nikon EX Extreme ATB binos (they also make a 16X). They are dirt cheap (retail well under $200) but built on the same parameters as the roof prism ATB's that I have used and enjoyed for a few years.

Well, I was stunned at how good these binos are. I am not saying that they are good for a low priced bino. I am saying they are good against some expensive glass.

I would avoid the Pentax versions of the same type of binos.

The only way to know for sure is to get some and try them. Our eyes are different and some glass just doesn't work the same. The only Euro brand that seems to work well for me is Leica. Zeiss and Swar or not all that great. Bizarre, but I find Japanese glass easier to see with.

I do suggest you give these Nikons a look though. I had them at a 1000m shoot last summer. Beside me was another shooter with a pair of Zeiss binos (ribbed housing, roof prism, 10X42B marked on body, Victory model???).

At 1000m, we both prefered the Nikons....

Jerry
Old 03-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

thanks for everyone who has replied. at this time my budget can't support a purchase of the swarovski. i was looking at the steiner 15x56, but it sounds like i better check out the nikons. thanks again.