Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

20 moa base question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

20 moa base question

Okay guys, riddle me this one please. If I put a 20 moa base on a rig of mine can I expect differences in long range turret dialing? Specifically it seems to me that having a 20 moa base will of course yield longer range shooting capability, but it seems that it would impact the amount of travel per click versus a scope that is parallel to the bore. Overthinking it or does a ballistic software package take that into account? Did not see it on JBM. Thank you
Old 03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 20 moa base question

You are indeed over thinking it. It does not affect click value. It does however allow you to use more of the elevation adjustment built into your scope, that is located "below your zero" if you will.

Jeff
Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
You are indeed over thinking it. It does not affect click value. It does however allow you to use more of the elevation adjustment built into your scope, that is located "below your zero" if you will.

Jeff
this i have a 20 on my .308 but if you get a base that is to big your zero will be at like 500 yds i am putting a 40moa on my 338lapua and i should be fine but some of the guys over seas have 50s and 60s on there sniper rifles for those extream long world records shots we hear about.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys, appreciate the confirmation. Thinking a 20 moa should work fine.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtB View Post
Thanks guys, appreciate the confirmation. Thinking a 20 moa should work fine.
Just check the specs on the scope you are using. If it has more than 40 moa total elevation adjustment you will be fine.

Jeff