Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

20 or 40 MOA rail?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: 20 or 40 MOA rail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedygoss View Post
For an extreme long range rifle do people tend to choose a 24x over a 16x max?
Absolutely. Magnification is your friend when you are trying to reach out there to a mile and beyond.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

The 24x would be nicer but I shoot the heck out of a 4-16 HS LR at ranges well beyond a mile and the only thing I fight is the stupid thick reticle. The 6-24 PST is still on the light end for MOA but you can get a rail that will get you real close to the bottom and make a mile+ with a 338 RUM, the FFP model has a ridiculous thick reticle through, unless you feel you need it I would go SFP for the much finer reticle!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
unless you feel you need it I would go SFP for the much finer reticle!!!
There are a great many scopes with fine FFP reticles. I think it is a huge mistake to handicap yourself with SFP for the sake of getting a fine reticle.

It's very important when shooting distance to be able to dial back the magnification in order to overcome mirage. With a SFP reticle, your wind holds are lost when you come off max magnification. There are also situations when hunting where it's not desirable to be on max magnification.

I'd stick with FFP for sure. Just choose a different model if the reticle is too think for liking on a vortex. The Premier 3-15 Light Tactical with GenIIXR reticle is a very good choice if you are looking for mid magnification and a fine reticle.

Still though, I would heavily recommend the 5-25 if you are planning to get something done at a mile.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Bronze Member

I have learned so much from these posts. Thank all of you for taking the time to explain your expeiance on this subject. I would have never thought about reticle thickness prior to getting behind an already purchased optic at long distance. It only makes sence to stick with a FFP reticle for doping the wind.

Thanks again guys.
Speedy.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
There are a great many scopes with fine FFP reticles. I think it is a huge mistake to handicap yourself with SFP for the sake of getting a fine reticle.

It's very important when shooting distance to be able to dial back the magnification in order to overcome mirage. With a SFP reticle, your wind holds are lost when you come off max magnification. There are also situations when hunting where it's not desirable to be on max magnification.

I'd stick with FFP for sure. Just choose a different model if the reticle is too think for liking on a vortex. The Premier 3-15 Light Tactical with GenIIXR reticle is a very good choice if you are looking for mid magnification and a fine reticle.

Still though, I would heavily recommend the 5-25 if you are planning to get something done at a mile.
I've never felt more handicapped shooting than with a FFP optic, and I found them just un usable for to much of my hunting. I do like the Premier 5-25 with the gen 2 XR, it's about the only fine reticle FFP I've seen and I'd actually love to own that optic but you gotta be honest, if guys are talking Vortex money even bringing up the Premier is a little out of place. The light tactical would be difficult to use with 40 moa and a reticle that is twice as thick as the 5-25 it's a moderate range optic on it's best day IMO.
I don't really have any personal like or dislike, I just look at an optic as a tool and for my hunting and shooting SFP is much more useful and workable right now, if my shooting changes then maybe the FFP will be the best tool.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Silver Member

The GenIIXR in the Premier light tactical is nice and thin, just like in the 5-25.

Have you ever looked through one?

In any event, I quite commonly come across people advocating SFP for the very reasons you state. They all have one thing in common:

They all need more exposure to FFP reticles in order to learn just what they are missing. In just about every case, they have only looked through a handful of FFP optics, and then form a summary judgement. Oddly enough, in most other area's of their life they require a higher sample size in order to make any claim.

In any situation of shooting you would encounter, I can show you a FFP optic that will not only get the job done, but excel at it.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:33 AM
Bronze Member

I have used a gen 2 xr, ffp in a 5-25 s&b... it was fine enough for elr work at 25x. However, it was not thick enough for any distance at lower power. Never seen mirage bad enough to dial down lower than 25x so I would recommend a sfp. Moa or mil is personal preference, but do yourself a favor, pick turrets/reticle that match. This way when you run her out of up, you can start bracketing without doing math. I prefer moa only because it's a finer adjustment, unless they're making .05mil clicks.

Tom