Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

20 or 40 MOA rail?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Bronze Member

20 or 40 MOA rail?

Putting together a Sendero in .338 RUM for long distance shooting. This is my first extreme long range attempt. Id like to be zeroed at 200 yards. Looking at the night force rails they come in 20 and 40 MOA. Looking for pros and cons for both.

Thanks,
Speedy.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: 20 or 40 MOA rail?

Speedy,

My recommendation would be for the 40MOA.

I don't shoot the ultra-mag, but I spend a great deal of time behind a 338LM. My primary load is a 285gr Hornady HPBT running at 2800fps. Given 50f, 28.00inHg conditions, and a 100yd zero... it takes 27.2 mils to get to 2000yds. 40MOA sloped base allows me to maintain a 100yd zero, and still take full advantage of the 338LM effective range.

At 27.2 mils (roughly 95 MOA), there is no way I could achieve that adjustment with a 20 MOA base, given my Premier 5-25 has a total internal adjustment capability of 29 mils. (roughly 100 MOA) I have 28 mils available in the turret, and as you can see, are very close to maxing it out on a 2000yd shot.

With a 20MOA slope, I would have to subtract 5.7 mils off the top of that number, giving me a maximum elevation adjustment of 22.3 mils. That would top me out at around 1800yds.

With this in mind, my recommendation for 40MOA is based on you having an optic with at least 100MOA/29Mils of total adjustment. If you don't, then you won't have a choice but to use 20MOA slope, and have reduced dial-able range.

Also, there is no reason not to run a 100yd zero with either of these setups.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
Speedy,

My recommendation would be for the 40MOA.

I don't shoot the ultra-mag, but I spend a great deal of time behind a 338LM. My primary load is a 285gr Hornady HPBT running at 2800fps. Given 50f, 28.00inHg conditions, and a 100yd zero... it takes 27.2 mils to get to 2000yds. 40MOA sloped base allows me to maintain a 100yd zero, and still take full advantage of the 338LM effective range.

At 27.2 mils (roughly 95 MOA), there is no way I could achieve that adjustment with a 20 MOA base, given my Premier 5-25 has a total internal adjustment capability of 29 mils. (roughly 100 MOA) I have 28 mils available in the turret, and as you can see, are very close to maxing it out on a 2000yd shot.

With a 20MOA slope, I would have to subtract 5.7 mils off the top of that number, giving me a maximum elevation adjustment of 22.3 mils. That would top me out at around 1800yds.

With this in mind, my recommendation for 40MOA is based on you having an optic with at least 100MOA/29Mils of total adjustment. If you don't, then you won't have a choice but to use 20MOA slope, and have reduced dial-able range.

Also, there is no reason not to run a 100yd zero with either of these setups.
Orkan,

This is exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you.
I will be running a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 on it until a Nightforce is ordered. I will have to see what the MOA range is in this scope.

You guys on this forum are top notch.
Thanks again.

Speedy.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedygoss View Post
Orkan,

I will be running a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 on it until a Nightforce is ordered. I will have to see what the MOA range is in this scope.

You guys on this forum are top notch.
Thanks again.

Speedy.
The Nikon will not work well as it's only got 30 MOA of elevation, you can't put any cant into the rail, the Vortex PST would be a much better optic with 65 moa of elevation and close to the same price range, works well on a 20 MOA rail with the RUM then get a 40 MOA with the Nightforce.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedygoss View Post
Orkan,

You are quite welcome sir.

If you haven't already ordered a nightforce, I would have you take a strong look at the Premier Tactical line of scopes. Their 5-25x56 is an amazing ELR optic.

Primal Rights • Primal Rights -- Premier Reticles - Tactical & Light Tactical

We have several 5-25's in stock, and it is my go-to precision rifle scope for long distances. For hunting rifles, the Light Tactical is a perfect fit.

Take a look. If you ever have any questions, or need some help, feel free to call.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
The Nikon will not work well as it's only got 30 MOA of elevation, you can't put any cant into the rail, the Vortex PST would be a much better optic with 65 moa of elevation and close to the same price range, works well on a 20 MOA rail with the RUM then get a 40 MOA with the Nightforce.
Bigngreen,

Funny you just posted this I just looked up the same info and came to the same conclusion. I then went straight to Vortex site and was comparing the PST FFP 6-24 and 4-16 for max elevation range. I already have the monarch collecting dust. That's the only reason I mentioned starting with that. Should work for load development.

For an extreme long range rifle do people tend to choose a 24x over a 16x max?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
You are quite welcome sir.

If you haven't already ordered a nightforce, I would have you take a strong look at the Premier Tactical line of scopes. Their 5-25x56 is an amazing ELR optic.

Primal Rights • Primal Rights -- Premier Reticles - Tactical & Light Tactical

We have several 5-25's in stock, and it is my go-to precision rifle scope for long distances. For hunting rifles, the Light Tactical is a perfect fit.

Take a look. If you ever have any questions, or need some help, feel free to call.
Greg,
I am looking into these now.
Thank you.

Speedy.