Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

1st vs 2nd Focal Plane Scopes...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 1st vs 2nd Focal Plane Scopes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB11WYO View Post
Thanks Broz, so now who offers scopes with FFP reticles?

Pretty much all of them from Bushnell to USO. I have both SFP & FFP scopes. For an ELR rifle I see little to zero advantages of FFP. For a guy shooting a tactical match or in a hunting position where quicker shots & varying distances are the norm (think hold overs here) they are almost irreplacable.

For a guy shooting long range or ELR, more often than not your intended critter has no idea you're even there. You have time to go prone, get distance to the target, measure wind, pull your dope, set your turrets & wait for your shot. Not exactly what you would call expedient. You will have plenty of time to ensure your scope is cranked to the correct power.

On the other hand, you never have to worry about what power the scope is set to. If you use hold overs as I did this year (more for curiosity than anything else), FFP can be a pretty important factor. You are engineering out the human factor at that point, it's impossible to be on the wrong power.

Vortex offers FFP (MOA & MIL)
Bushnell offers the HDMR's (probably the best bang for your buck in FFP)
Leupy offers the ER/T line (I used the MK4 M5-A w/TMR this hunting season)
NightForce offers the F1 (discontinued)
NightForce Offers the Beast (very spendy)
Premier Heritage
S&B
US Optics (I just bought one of these in IPHY).

The selection grows by the month is seems. It comes down to a question of application. Which fits your needs best?

Like I said, I use both: from Luepy to NightForce to USO. I feel they all have their place.

t

Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

I prefer mil/mil and ffp.Weaver has a tactical line.So doe super sniper,class seems as good as my mark 4 and it has more field of view for less money + 10 mil one rev.I use mine for hold, same as dial up value. 5mil on my rifle gets me right to 825
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
I prefer mil/mil and ffp.Weaver has a tactical line.So doe super sniper,class seems as good as my mark 4 and it has more field of view for less money + 10 mil one rev.I use mine for hold, same as dial up value. 5mil on my rifle gets me right to 825

I forgot the Weaver & SS lines... I don't have any experience with them but have heard good things. I seem to like Mil/Mil better, It just clicks for me. The problem I have with that is all of my shooting partners look at me like i'm speaking Klingon when I speak of Mil/Mil. Makes it a PITA to be the odd ball I should be used to that by now....

t

Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Pretty much all of them from Bushnell to USO....
....Like I said, I use both: from Luepy to NightForce to USO. I feel they all have their place.
t
Thanks for the insight! Have to mull that over then...

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-