Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

10X for 7mm mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for your real world experience. I can see where the benefit of a good variable scope on my hunting rig will be useful. To this point my long range gun has been my 308 and a 270. However I have had our property timber cut and is some of the area's the 480 acres of wide open terrain now just speaks "long range shooting"!!!! Areas with food plots that were once seperated by timber now allow a person to cover 2-3 food plots from some of my hills. The 7mm Rem mag, was a clearance rifle at walmart. I figured for $250 bucks I shouldn't pass it up and give it a try. I've already been shooting at plastic drums I've dragged out to the plots and taped paper plates too. Its been a great learning experience in range estimation and calculating scope adjustments.
By the way what kind of new scope are you looking at?

Unread 11-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by ukenout View Post
By the way what kind of new scope are you looking at?
This afternoon I had a Leupold VX-III LR 6.5-20, a Zeiss xx-15 and a Leupold 7 in 6.5-20. The VZ-III won the contest. But I'm holding out for a Front Focal Plane scope w/a mil dot reticle w/power to at least 20 w/a 50 or 56 mm objective lens in either 1" or 30mm tube.
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!