Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

1000 yard scope USO, Nightforce....??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2004, 07:25 PM

1000 yard scope USO, Nightforce....??????

Having a dillema that may be some of you guys might want to help me out with.

Currrently I have a Loopy 8.5 x 25 x 50 LRM1 on my 6.5-284, I'm looking to step up to better glass, Kind of disapointed in the loopy.
I pretty much had my mind made up on the NSX 5.5-22X50 thats coming out in June, Then Sniper Hide in the optics forum has a smoking deal on a SN-3 3.8-22x44, I want a min of 22 on the top end.

Iv'e looked through the NSX 15 pwr scope with NPR2 ret, One word awsome , what would you guys go with and why.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:38 AM
Gold Member

Re: 1000 yard scope USO, Nightforce....??????

A NSX will cost you about $1300??

The deal on SH is about $1650 for the USO??

No offence to NF, but John III is giving a great deal there!! One thing is that SN-3 doesnt have a side focus. I dont like that about it.

I saw that deal, and if I didnt have to pay Uncle Sugar $8 grand last month, I would be all over that US Optics SN-3. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...sakofan..Good luck with your decsion!
Old 05-03-2004, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

NXS R2 5.5-22x56

The thing tracks with perfect .25 MOA clicks, reticle is perfectly calibrated in MOA and they both work! And it has the side focus I use all the time to check mirage at various ranges, no way I'd be without it either. NF customer service can't be topped IMO.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Bronze Member

Gents,
USO deal over at the hide wins hands down; the deal JW3 has going is great and will get you a lot more scope for just a few more dollars compared to Nightforce. Better glass with better resolution, color, and clarity. Stronger construction. ERGO objective functions just like the parallax knob on other scopes, and makes for a stonger scope. You are buying American with USO and their customer service is outstanding since JW3 took over the reins.

Plus, you are supporting a firm that looks out for the shooting community - this is the secong price break JW3 has given due to demand - what has Nightforce done for the community other than make sure its dealers don't advertise lower prices other than full retail ones recommended by the factory?

USO wins this one by a landslide; once you go up to USO you will never go back - their products are that good IMHO.

SCL in Bogota

[ 05-10-2004: Message edited by: SCL ]
Old 05-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Gold Member

hey Froggy,
I'll take the poopy Loopy off your hands when you decide.
PS I'd go for the NF.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:32 AM
Gold Member

SCL, would expand on the statment you made about the ERGO adjustment, please. I find that interesting.

"ERGO objective functions just like the parallax knob on other scopes, and makes for a stonger scope." A quote by SCL.

Thank you, sakofan....
Old 05-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Bronze Member

Sakofan,
Both turret type systems a la the Loopy MK4 and the USO Ergo will do the job, but the ERGO and front obj lens systems offer finer adjustment, less mechanical systems to fail (i.e. less moving parts inside the tube/turrets to fail), and readings on the ERGO knob with the left eye while liiking through the glass with the right eye is easier for me than on a turret.

Overall I think its a better system - I used to be a turret lover when I used the the MK4's, but after comparing USO to Loopy the quality of the glass was so much better I begrudgingly went along with the ERGO objective rather than a turret. I am glad I did andf have no regrets whatsoever. After using the scope two times at the range the transition from turre to ERGO was made.

I hope this helps - the USO catalog might have more info of a detailed technical nature; all of the above IMHO only.

SCL in Bogota