Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

1000 yard rangefinder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Gold Member

1000 yard rangefinder?

I've tried searching several times but can't seem to narrow it down to what I'm looking for. If I could afford Swarovski EL bino/rangefinders I would buy them in a heart beat. Maybe in a few more years but as for right now I'm looking to spend around $500 or so. I have used in the past Leupold and Bushnell 600 yard models and 600 yards was pushing it most of the time. I don't intend to shoot at game much past 500-600 yards but I've had problems in the past spotting deer at distance but not knowing if they were 650 yards or 1650 yards. Not really that bad but it made me realize that my max shooting distance should be closer to the midrange of the maximum for the rangefinder I am using. Being able to range a deer at 1000 and then identify a vantage point that would put me at 400-500 yards would be way more helpful than just knowing they were somewhere beyond 600 yards.

Any recommendations for an honest 1000 yard rangefinder?
Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: 1000 yard rangefinder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkrat View Post
I've tried searching several times but can't seem to narrow it down to what I'm looking for. If I could afford Swarovski EL bino/rangefinders I would buy them in a heart beat. Maybe in a few more years but as for right now I'm looking to spend around $500 or so. I have used in the past Leupold and Bushnell 600 yard models and 600 yards was pushing it most of the time. I don't intend to shoot at game much past 500-600 yards but I've had problems in the past spotting deer at distance but not knowing if they were 650 yards or 1650 yards. Not really that bad but it made me realize that my max shooting distance should be closer to the midrange of the maximum for the rangefinder I am using. Being able to range a deer at 1000 and then identify a vantage point that would put me at 400-500 yards would be way more helpful than just knowing they were somewhere beyond 600 yards.

Any recommendations for an honest 1000 yard rangefinder?
Buy a used Leica 1200 or 1600 crf. You can find them for $4-500 with a little patience. They are outstanding units and they both will range further than advertised in good conditions. You could also look at the Zeiss plrf but it's much larger and has a larger laser beam that could result in ranging errors.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Gold Member

Problem with 1000 yard rangefinders is that many hunters can't hold one steady enough to get an accurate reading or, in many instances, any reading at all.
Leica makes a good one:
Leica Rangemaster CRF 1000-R Laser Rangefinder 7x Black
Leupold makes another:
Leupold RX-1000i DNA Laser Rangefinder 1000 Yard 6x Armored Black

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoWind View Post
Problem with 1000 yard rangefinders is that many hunters can't hold one steady enough to get an accurate reading or, in many instances, any reading at all.
Leica makes a good one:
Leica Rangemaster CRF 1000-R Laser Rangefinder 7x Black
Leupold makes another:
Leupold RX-1000i DNA Laser Rangefinder 1000 Yard 6x Armored Black
I have a 1600 and yes it can be a challenge to get a stable reading at 1000+ yards .

Leica Rangemaster 1600 CRF initial test !

It's pricey but they make Leica CRF Tripod Adapter

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

I have Leica's 1600crf. Using any rangefinder at longer distances is just like using the rifle at longer distances- you need solid support. I rest it on the rifle if I am prone, on my shooting sticks if sitting, or on my tripod (sit it right on top of the bino or the spotter) when glassing. The local farms have provided test targets (no, repeat NO rifle anywhere around for this) and I have gotten repeat readings out past 1000 yards on cattle and horses. It even bounces off buildings at 1977 yards, so far that is the longest return I have been able to get. The 1600 also gives angle from horizontal, temperature, and atmospheric pressure (in PSI, which I then convert to altitude with a cheat sheet). It also has a ballistic calculator which has preset trajectories on a menu- you pick the one which best matches your load. I don't think it works past 500 yards, but I can't say for certain, because I have never used it, preferring my own drop charts for my handloads.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

steer clear of the leupold 1000 you will be lucky to get 700 to 800 even on a good day unless you are ranging something as big as tree
Old 05-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Gold Member

Was looking at the new Leupold RX-1200i.

800-1000 on a tree would probably be fine with me. Being 950 yards away or 1450 yards away doesn't mean much to me. Regardless I know that "I" need to get closer. Knowing at 900 yards that I need to get at least 300 yards closer is what I want to know. Currently I'm lucky to get a 500-600 yard reading on a tree so anything better than that is an improvement.