Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

$1000 Long Range Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Bronze Member

$1000 Long Range Scope

I am doing some research on my first long range rig and i want to be able to get out to 1000 yards and maybe farther. My budget is about $1000 for scope and rings.
Thanks in advance, Devin
Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: $1000 Long Range Scope

I'm a big fan of the Vortex Viper PST. you can get a 6-24X50 plus rings and still be under $1k
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emn83 View Post
I'm a big fan of the Vortex Viper PST. you can get a 6-24X50 plus rings and still be under $1k
I do like the looks of those. They seem to be a quality scope and get great reviews. I know they are double my budget, but are Nightforce Scopes worth the extra cash?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedmoorshooter21 View Post
I do like the looks of those. They seem to be a quality scope and get great reviews. I know they are double my budget, but are Nightforce Scopes worth the extra cash?
I can't answer that question for you, but for me, in the end, I went with the PST because, while I think there may be a NF in my future, at this point, the PST has everything I need and wanted, at half the price. NF are great scopes, but, to my eyes, I didn't lose much going with the PST, having looked through NF scopes before. If you want to save for it, a NF is an awesome scope. If you want a really good scope now, go with a PST, you won't regret it.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emn83 View Post
I can't answer that question for you, but for me, in the end, I went with the PST because, while I think there may be a NF in my future, at this point, the PST has everything I need and wanted, at half the price. NF are great scopes, but, to my eyes, I didn't lose much going with the PST, having looked through NF scopes before. If you want to save for it, a NF is an awesome scope. If you want a really good scope now, go with a PST, you won't regret it.
I really appreciate the advice and i'm very close to making my decision and im almost positive it will be the viper. I noticed that they do not have a traditional mil-dot reticle. Do they have a similar counter part? or should i just go with the MOA scope?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I really appreciate the advice and i'm very close to making my decision and im almost positive it will be the viper. I noticed that they do not have a traditional mil-dot reticle. Do they have a similar counter part? or should i just go with the MOA scope?
Do you know both MOA and Mil adjustments?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
They have a MRAD version of the EBR-1 reticle. You can find it here

it's the same set up, but it's done in MRAD versus MOA, for people used to Mil-Dot