Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

1 Piece VS. 2Piece Base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

1 Piece VS. 2Piece Base

My Zeiss just showed up the other day and upon mounting it, I realized the scope mount holes are not in line with the bore. It required 13 MOA left windage to zero during bore sighting. Using a straight edge, they appear to be in line with each other just not with the bore. That said, I've decided to go with a set of Burris Zee rings and Weaver style base. My question is would a 1 piece base cause any stress to the receiver with the holes being misaligned? Would I be better off using a 2 piece setup? If a 2 piece is the better option, would a dual dove tail set be stronger than the Weaver type set? I only ask that because the cross bolt on the Weaver type ring appears to be pretty slim. I like my setups to be as stout as possible. I've had enough failures in the past that I tend to worry about it alot when I'm in the field.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 1 Piece VS. 2Piece Base

Your holes are off center line on rifle? O r the base? IF base just get new one. I favor rails and heavy duty rings, NF. Mark 4, Seekin, Burris exteme. You can have a rail made to fit action proper, Brownells has blank rail stock also. Or just use a windage adjustable base like a standard Leupold.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

I am going to assume that your are talking about the holes in your action. This isn't the first time I've heard of that issue, it can be fixed. lay the base on top of your action, do the holes line up by themselves?

www.longriflesinc.com << Chad has fixed a handful of these (as other smiths i'm sure). Good guy whos willing to discuss ALL of the options, not just the ones that will line his pocket.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

I should have specified the holes in the action. With the scope mounted, looking at the rifle from above, you can see the scope pointed to the right a very slight amount but visible none the less. I have enough adjustment in my scope to zero and some left over for making windage adjustment but I would rather be as close as I can to the scopes optical center starting off and I would assume that my scope being "off set" like that would cause me problems down range.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

It's unclear from your description if the misalignment is between the base and receiver or between the receiver and barrel. In my experience I could be either. If its the former, then I recommend either a 2-piece base or bed the 1-piece base you have using JB Weld. If its the later, then the 1-piece base should fit the receiver fine. Either way, 13 moa misalignment is not severe. 16 moa is my limit for windage misalignment between the scope and bore.

Either way you should either lap the rings or use Burris Signature rings.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent

Last edited by bruce_ventura; 03-24-2012 at 05:29 PM.